Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Looking at a 1974 450 SL

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  g.pope 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 1974 450 SL. I know of the frame recall, (dont know yet if this one needs it). I there anything that you guys can tell me about what to look for in this model year. I would also like your general impressions of this model.
Thanks all.

See less See more
#3 ·
RUST

- blower box (under plastic compartment)
- Under battery
- around headlights
- trunk pans
- trunk front right corners
- jock holes, especially fronts
- under the chrome wheel arches?

And don't forget:
- soft top condition
- all the rubber under the car (steering, mounts, tierods, etc)

Of course the buyers guide and EGv107 are the best resources.

#9 ·
Only kiidin re the K$2999:)

Seems OK around that price to me..

I paid $8K for my 71 and have spent $K12 to get it up to what I consider 'very good'.

Its 'sister' car's owner (4 chassis numbers away 2487 and 2491) paid K$20 and spent K$20..probably concours now.

Anothet Guy paid K$40 for a 'minter' one and spent another $K25 he was a bit extreme tho...

Prices somewhat higher here tho'....supply and demand I guess.

U.S is waaay cheaperer for all clasics, espec with the economy as is.

A Ferrari 355 for $35000 on Mecum..crazy.

!

So..to me K9 seems like a steal.

#16 ·
I think you must have cheapest world prices in U.S for cars...period!

Just browsing most pop site down here; (carsales.com.au)

Half decent 350 SL's ...the asking range is currently $K14 (some rust) to
$30K (a manual example).

NB

Looking for a friend , I see W 129 SL 500's... asking $23K (93's etc) to $60K (yr 2000)

#18 ·
I took it for a drive and decided against it. Drives good, stops good, good tires, but very cracked dash, cloth top needs replacing, carpet is worn and faded. Plus other things that should have routinely been taken care of.
I dont want to pay that price and then have to put more money and time in it. All cars need some work, but not this much at this price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.