Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I'm gonna have some fun w/an SLC

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Fotografa 
#1 ·
For the purest this may not sit well but my plan is to take a salvage yard Euro 500, pull a "024 SLC" down to the skin and body kit it with the SLC Race version type kit SLC Racing : manufacturer of Mercedes SLC 500 Rally Cars , insert the modified 500 engine and hook a AMG of the likes of "48hp" 5 speed to it and go vintage racing. see pics. I know many of you have seen these but it's always fun to see them again, wish me many hours of joy and some luck.

Bumper Automotive exterior Table Plastic

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Mercedes-benz

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Coupé

Tomson 000925
Santa Clarita, CA

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Great stuff... nice to see people doing this sort of thing.

One question though. As you are modifying it anyway, why a 500 and not a 560? Going 560 from the start will be a cheaper way of getting more horses under the bonnet.

Getrag box is the go if you want a 5 speed manual, getrag 265 if I remember correctly, the hard bit will be that you will likely have to have a bellhousing custom made. Mind you, when AMG raced the SLC's, they left the auto in there, and when M-B rallied them, they left the auto in there. Ss why not try it with the auto first?

Can't wait to see pics!

This link may help a bit:

www.bits4benz.com.au • View topic - The building of an SLC Rally car. Silver Arrows 500SLC

It's a rally car I know, but a lot of the same concepts apply.

#7 ·
I love you guys

Many thanks in advance, I will thoroughly check every lead you all dish out and rust freeish in SoCal should be a real possibility. 3 speed auto vs the Getrag 265 will find it's way into a future project but after reading all about 48hp aka Henri's AMG and loving to shift pushed me down this road with no looking back. Looking forward to many more comments and suggestions and thanks again from the well wishers. Tomson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.