Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

M103 Swap into 450SL

7K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  CASELOwner 
#1 ·
I am replacing the M117 motor with a 1991 M103 motor from a W124. I need help with figuring out the driver side engine support. I tried to use engine support bracket from the donor car. The passenger side centers the crankshaft. The trouble is that for the driver side (left) bracket is slightly short and the mount hole needs to be go rearward about an inch. Can anyone give me a part number that will fit. Will the one out of 300SE (W126) work?

Also, what would be a good donor car for a front half of drive shaft that is 2" longer.

#2 ·

You know MB did that, right?

You can look up the pieces you need on the EPC and check against the part numbers of potential donor cars. Which I think is highly unlikely. The numbers will help you search the web and confirm what you find. Look in the General Data section for that link.

And take some pics while you're at it. :D

#6 ·
Hmmm, not sure where you are looking on the EPC, but when I look at the EPC, it shows the 107 part number you quoted for the 300SL engine mounts, not the 103 number. The 103 number you have quoted matches the m103.982 engine, but engine mounts are listed under the engine suspension section for the chassis (24) not the engine suspension section for the engine. I think the 103 numbers you have quoted are the brackets that attach to the mounts.

#13 ·
Below is the picture I found on the web for W126 300SEL part no. 6032230604. The sweepback is something that I am looking for.
The part number for the right support that I am using form W124 is 6032232704. This puts the cranckshaft in the center of the engine bay. The EPC part number for the right engine support is 1032230104. I suspect the difference between the two are engine support to engine mount angle. W124 uses engine mounts that sit on a slight angle.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.