Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Missed you Guys- Update 5.0 euro motor swap into 380sl

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  strife2 
#1 ·
First and foremost I wanted to say Hi to everyone and to say I missed you guys. I had to take some time off from my swap, my mercedes and the forum due to a host of personal and business issues. I am glad to be back.

I also wanted to tell you how nice it is doing business with honest people.
The 5.0 euro motor I bought from Blue ridge mercedes out of atlanta Jon who is a forum member had some problems. After 3 or 4 times installed and pulled back out (so many I cant remember) and hundreds of man hours. I had to pull the heads and found two loose valve guides which was causing all the smoke.

I know Jon was unaware of the problems and was very helpfull during me trying to figure out why I could not get the motor running properly. When I finally figured out what the overall problem was Jon apologized and we came to a fair agreement on helping me resolve the problem. He very easily could have said it was a used part and he sold it in good faith be he did not. He stood behind it and stepped up to the plate and I very much appreciate it and respect him for it.

The heads are currently at the machine shop and hopefully will be done in the next week or so so I can get the motor together and get the car running again.

Thumbs up to Jon.

I will keep you posted and for sure I will be asking for a lot more advice since I have never had a mercedes motor apart and not quite sure how to put it back together.

Looking forward to be back into the fold and thanks in advace for the upcoming help, Tony.

See less See more
#2 ·
I will keep you posted and for sure I will be asking for a lot more advice since I have never had a mercedes motor apart and not quite sure how to put it back together.

Tony.
Welcome back stranger. How's about taking pics of the head work. Will you be helicoiling the block, or is it cast iron...

Good luck with the project...

#3 ·
Thanks good to be back. I am going to try to see if I can get the right torque with the helicoils already in. I talked to my machinist and an indie and they said if it is the first time it has been apart and if it did not over heat I should be fine. That is plan A and then we will see from there. As I get it back together I promise I will send pics.

#15 ·
1. I am pretty certain that most blocks/holes on an aluminum 116/117 were not helicoiled from the factory. I'ts possible that they may have helicoiled some holes or even a block that was damaged in initial assembly.

2. Those valve guide are made to REALLY tight tolerances. Installing them correctly involves 4-decimal place tools and liquid nitrogen. It's hard to believe that they are basically a press fit (with a little help from temperature differences). I have a spare set that needs to be redone where the valve guides basically just popped out.

I plan on doing this, I have the tools and jig; I bit the bullet because if I don't do it, I guarantee that the last bolt I torque down will strip. This is how my "luck" works. I have to make my own luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.