Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Carb?

6K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  rwa73 
#1 ·
ok guys,before you take me to the woodshed,can you install a holly carb with mods to the intake mani thats on a 1985 380sl? I have never seen so much bull##t on a engine in my life. I work in a machine shop and i can make adpt. or whatever. engine runs realy good now but it is limp mode (watever that is) Make no mistake this is a driver,not a pristene pussy on a trip to win an award. Like i said motor runs great in limp mode but I whant to get rid of fuel IN and I think its doable. think about it..carb,1wire to dizzy,1 wire to alt, 1 hose to vac can to all the bulls$$t this car has..justsayn...

#2 · (Edited)
...can you install a holly carb with mods to the intake mani thats on a 1985 380sl? ... think about it..carb,1wire to dizzy,1 wire to alt, 1 hose to vac...
What type of carb needs:
1 wire to the dizzy. 1 wire to the alternator?

I asked the same question once, about a d-jet after seeing the manifold. It just screams for a carb, and dep-six all the injection s**t... Seems the reply was less than I was looking for.

I guess if inspections and economy are not of concern to you, and you don't mind rough warm-up and cold start conditions, then why not?

#9 ·
Carbs are just not as efficient as FI in real-world conditions. Yes, you MIGHT be able to get a carb tuned up so that it was just as good a FI at ONE temperature and one RPM and one load...for a while, anyway, until something got clogged, dirty, worn, or just plain temperamental.

I'm sure what you have in mind can be done; the intake manifold is a problem but it might be possible to a coupler to it; be prepared for 12-15 MPG, and plan on keeping the car, because it will be unsellable in many parts of the country.

I've often wondered what was so bad about throttle-body injection, which is effectively a computer-controlled, close-loop feedback carburetor.

#21 ·
Hey rwa, a thought. I know some of the early M110 motors in W123s were carbed, with Solex 4A1 spreadbore units.
All I have read about Solex is...Yeeech!
Concept is the same, and I think it would work a treat. Put a 750 double-pumper on there with huge Jets!

Damn the gas mileage... it'd run like a raped ape!

#19 ·
Lots of Mustang and Camaro people do it. You need to install a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 6psi, cut up a Cheby or Ford intake and weld to yours. The most difficult part maybe finding a dist with vacuum advance, it will run ok if you can find one with mechanical advance only but your mileage will be crap. I think it would even run better with a Quadrajet than a Holly.

Dan

#20 ·
Dave,your link does not connect,but thanks for trying. anyway it looks like there is a intake mani for a carb..no? years ago i had a 1979 pontiac grandam with a 403 olds motor,what a great car that was,It had a Qjet carb and i never had a lick of trouble with it,ran great. so what the hells the deal with a carb ownly running at a certen rpm or whatever? I can tell you that car went like a bat out of hell and idle was perfect..what more could you ask for..gimme a break

#29 ·
I've pondered this for how I would do an EFI system, and the problem is that the present throttle body is mounted to the lower part of the manifold, and then the air comes back UP and to the heads. One possibility would be to mount a flanged tube to the lower intake manifold's throttle body mount, and then fabricate a mountable box/plate that could bolt to the upper part of the intake manifold.

Or, you can spend about 2-3K on a custom sheet-metal intake manifold!

#30 ·
strife2,i to think about that to but iam more concerned about pooling of fuel at bottom of intake mani. I cannot belive how many people are for fi and not carb. carbs were used for years and years on really great cars...I hade one,the intake mani is the only holdback to this conversion and I think if anybody comes up with a way to do this they will get a gold medal. or you can pay and pay for stupid parts at a 200.00 a lic...not thisguy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.