Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Two unrelated questions

674 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  strife2 
#1 ·
I'm putting my intake manifold halves back together using MTC couplers from AutohausAZ. (Great service from them BTW) Should I install the couplers dry or use a lube/sealant like Hylomar? Next question - I have a mostly complete 1982 380SL for a parts car (it broke the timing chain). Can I install the ACCIII from that car into my 81 SL? My 81 has 50,000 mi and will be a driver, not a show car. It seems like someone on this forum has done everything possible at least once. If no one knows for sure the swap won't work I'll try it. What a forum! :bowdown: THANKS - Stan

#2 ·
On the manifold, I can't help.

On the climate control system swap, I'm sure it CAN be done. There would be a lot of vacuum line reworking, as the ACIII uses electric valves to switch the vacuum to the appropriate actuators in the plenums. The wiring harness would have to be reworked, for the ACIII, the fan controller and other ancillary components would have to be swapped in. It would be a daunting task for me, and one I would not attempt unless I had the dash out, and was doing a complete rebuild of the car. Instead, I'd recommend you research teh Unwired Tools servo replacement. ScottinSoCal, a member here, has done this swap and reported it was a good improvement.

Research the ACIII in the manual, and compare to the ACII to get an ideal of all that would be involved. Pay attention to the wiring diagrams as well. Lots of inter-related components to accommodate...

#5 ·
I'd say as long as there is no risk of tearing, I wouldn't use anything on them. If you think there is a risk of tearing, rubber lubricant (NOT OIL BASED) would be OK.

I've played with my polished intakes and when you handle these parts, don't bang up the mating surfaces of the upper/lower parts of the manifolds. I always have the upper parts on a piece of plywood. Otherwise, I don't know that the rubber would compensate enough for a perfect seal.

#4 ·
OK! Intake manifold will be together tonight, and I'll stockpile the ACCIII components till later. The weather is crappy here for taking parts off, but if anybody needs something off this car, let me know. If I don't need it, it's yours. I'm not a business, I'm not selling parts, so you'd have to work out logistics for large items, but this forum has been so much help to me I'd like to pay it forward. THANKS - Stan :thumbsup:;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.