Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Please comment 380SL 85' I just got

4K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  RenatoMB 
#1 ·
I'm looking for advice to decide what to do with 380 SL I just got. Should I work on it or better sell in spare parts?

VIN: WDBBA45CXFA032410

Few photos form sales page:

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mercedes-benz r107 and c107 Classic car

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mercedes-benz r107 and c107 Sedan

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mercedes-benz r107 and c107 Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Center console

Vehicle Car Classic car Mercedes-benz r107 and c107 Motor vehicle

Auto part Measuring instrument Speedometer Gauge Tool

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Sedan

See less See more
#4 ·
This is winter here so I'm not driving it.

First impression is that car is in good condition. Somebody took care of it.
No rust.
Driver seat is not nice. Seat springs looks ok but seating is not comfortable I was expecting.
Soft top is in bad condition.
Paint is excellent.
Chrome nice condition.
Seats need new covers..
Dash in bad condition. Thinking about plastic cover.
Door covers nice, mats are in good condition.
Drives well, shifts nicely. Steering should be checked.
Chain not yet checked.

Few more pictures:

Drum

Vehicle Car

Electronics Text Technology Electronic device Multimedia

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Classic car

Car Vehicle Sedan Full-size car Classic car

Your impression? That's my first attempt to make nice things to live longer.

#7 ·
It "appears" nice enough, and if it really has no rust, it could be worth fixing. If the engine runs, trans works and it drives, then start assesing what it would take to make it agreeable to you as a driver. If it has been maintained, '85 380SL's are decent cars with reasonable fuel economy, and fun to cruise around with the top down. Keep us posted- thanks for photos, and fill out your profile. That will help others here help you.

#22 ·
Looks way too good to me to part out ( we just bought an '85 380SL , too), but it all depends on what you paid for it compared to what the parts are worth in Latvia. The issues you have identified are really pretty minor and to be expected in a car of that age.

Check on the timing chain, flex discs and subframe condition before you drive it seriously.

Rick

#24 ·
It's presently indisposed....still haven't finished the timing chain install ( have the guides done,sprockets, the tensioner/rail- just need to wind the chain in).
Got interrupted by raccoons (yeah, big problem) and septic tank repairs (also big problem and dishwasher now kaput .

This is a replacement car for SWMBO, so I want to get it sorted as she will be driving it daily and I can't afford any downtime later.

It's really not sitting in a place currently that would enhance its (10 foot ) beauty...but I promise pix once it has been dusted off , washed and waxed (but NOT by me).

Rick

#26 ·
Welcome! You have my address (10 km radius) and you know my car. Seems that it will be "the one" here in Riga. Local MbClub said that there are not much w107 left. They better like Euro model and better R107. They said that US car is ugly, with heavy bumpers and I should sell it into parts as soon as possible. They advised me to change bumpers as soon as possible. Strangely my friends and neighbors said vice versa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.