Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OT: WARNING! The Great Blizzard of 2011!

10K views 196 replies 32 participants last post by  petesmga 
#1 ·
The Government has issued a weather travel warning due to the cold, snow and ice.

They suggest that anyone travelling in the current icy conditions should make sure they have the following:

Shovel
Blankets or sleeping bag
Candles
Extra clothing including hat and gloves
24 hours worth of food
3 litres of water
De-Icer
Rock Salt
Flashlight with spare batteries
Road Flares or Reflective Triangles
Gas Can
First Aid Kit
Booster cables

I sure looked like an idiot on the bus this morning...

#4 ·
could be a big one...
how's things in Rowdies neck of the woods..
the weather channel shows O.C. has a blizzard going on..
look out abiby...here it comes..

oooh and cct..you forgot about the generator for those with electric autos :)

#19 ·
could be a big one...
how's things in Rowdies neck of the woods..
the weather channel shows O.C. has a blizzard going on..
look out abiby...here it comes..
oooh and cct..you forgot about the generator for those with electric autos :)
Sorry, Don, but it looks like we'll miss out on most of it.:thumbsup:

Oh for goodness sakes.

She learned that on our wedding night.
Uhuh... Obviously from carrying YOU over the threshold. :)

#12 ·
I have a WEIRD job. Had to take a winter survival class last spring, and am going to Part II of it in 2 weeks. In Leadville, CO.

Protip: You can make a dandy little energency heater by taking a 1 quart paint can (buy just the can at Home Desot or a real paint / hardware store), Take the cardboard out of a roll of toilet paper, and stuff the paper into the can. Soak paper in alcohol and light. Will provide heat and light for quite a while, until the alcohol is burned off, but can be refilled ( re-soaked?) and relit. Little to no Carbon Monixide (vent area anyway, just to make sure), and a nice amount of heat. Can be prepared ahead and sealed with the lid, or snuffed out with same.

Just make sure it's on a safe surface.

Then there are the things you can use to start fires in emergency situations. VBEG (Very Big Evil Grin) As a demo, one of the guys makes a snowball and lights it on fire. It's real snow.

Scott

#15 ·
I've already decided to take my first day off in weeks rather than commit to 4 hours(or more) in the car .......tomorrow.
Snowmaggeden....they are calling it.........fucking Toronto is the biggest pussy whenever snow flies.

In any case, I need to stay home and supervise Nobette on the finer points of shovelling.

#17 ·
Yes. By all means. Nobette needs to learn how to bend over and lift. You need to be careful when shoveling. Lift your legs, not your back.

BTW we really have been hammered. Almost 2' of snow. Now it will get more interesting as the winds kick to 40 MPH and the temp. drops to below zero F.

#59 ·
...but it appears Andrew is far away from danger. Is there someone else we should keep in mind?

How very true, Dig. Queensland has had a very rough ride for over a month now - serious flooding followed by two cyclones within a week - with one of them packing 170mph winds.

UGH. You guys from Down Under able to stop ducking yet?

#25 ·
The crap has finally started here. About two inches in the first hour and they say the real snow will start after midnight. I have found that my annual investment in snow plowing service has been heart healthy. Getting too old for that shoveling shit. The two Mercedes are tucked away clean and dry and the salt lick Jeep is staying warm in the garage ready to face the elements.

#26 ·

RT said:
Protip: You can make a dandy little energency heater by taking a 1 quart paint can (buy just the can at Home Desot or a real paint / hardware store), Take the cardboard out of a roll of toilet paper, and stuff the paper into the can. Soak paper in alcohol and light. Will provide heat and light for quite a while, until the alcohol is burned off, but can be refilled ( re-soaked?) and relit. Little to no Carbon Monixide (vent area anyway, just to make sure), and a nice amount of heat. Can be prepared ahead and sealed with the lid, or snuffed out with same.

Yeah, like I'm gonna burn up my JD for a little bit of heat or a night lite.

:D

#29 ·
Well, as usual, the weather prognosticators over did it. It already turning into a lunch bag let down up here. The weather has passed mostly just underneath and is about pass by completely. There will still be a little bit of weather coming through, but that's it.

Boring, but pretty.

But pretty boring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.