Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Can't get soft top back into 1978 Mercedes 450SL

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
Hi! This is my first time posting but I'm sure there will be more!

I have had the soft top on my 1978 Mercedes 450SL for a few months now and today it got warm enough for me to take it off. :) But now, I can't get it back into the compartment! It folds straight down into it, back first. But then when I try and close the little boot thing, the front of the soft top is sticking forward (into the trundle seat area) and it won't close. There is a little area toward the front that looks like it might fold in, and it does a little bit, but still not enough to close it. The little post things that hold the soft top in place in the front are sticking straight up. It doesn't look like there is anywhere else on this top that will fold enough for me to get this thing back in there. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Thanks, Ears and Reno4u2, that's what it was! That second rib in front of the posts was trying to fold the wrong way. When I tucked that one in, it worked perfectly! Now I can drive the car with the top off tomorrow, as it is supposed to be warmer than it was today! (Midwest, eat your hearts out, as I know it will be 9 degrees on Wednesday.) :p Thanks again, guys!

#7 ·
Thanks. Didn't think you were a NY Giants fan cause you would not be putting your top down now.

I saw you asked on MB Heritage. Want to bet on a time response?ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
This really is the top SL forum. Discussions, insults, you name it. This is a great group of guys and gals who enjoy their cars. We have all ages and genders represented.

#9 ·
Well, I could be putting my top down in NY if I just wanted to freeze to death. I did ask my question on the other forum because this is my first time and I didn't know which site was better. Now I know!!! Yeah, most people I know think I'm crazy for wanting to keep my 33-year-old car. But I love my Benz and I know it's not economical to pay for tags/insurance on two cars, but I love driving it in the summer with the top off...I get lots of looks and compliments on it! A funny thing happened once...I was at work and in a parking lot on the side of a strip mall. When I came out, all around me had erupted a car show. My little Benz was sitting there next to all these restored antique and/or classic cars with the hoods up. As I got into my car to leave, someone said, "You should just back that thing in and put the hood up...yours is the prettiest car of them all!" Awwwwwww.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.