Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Knee Pad on 560 SL: Can it be removed?

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  isthisdave 
#1 ·
Hello:

Can I just remove it or do it need to add something to cover it if I remove it?

#6 ·
It is 2 10mm (IIRC) nuts that reside deep up into the bolster, behind two plastic plugs that look like phillips screws. Remove the plugs, and use a socket and extension. Loosen the nuts several turns, and like reported above, the holes in the bolster are key-slotted.

Cheers!

#20 ·
Prior to the introduction of airbags to the US in 1986 our 107 models had a simple cover under the dash at the steering column. Any non SRS 107's after '85 should also have some sort of cover in that area. Whether that cover, or the previously mentioned first style piece will fit an SRS equipped GenII car you'll have to determine.

#19 ·
Do you have the cushion plates under the dash, next from knee pad?

My 560SL does not have the cushion plate next from knee bad - from the firewall to the dash board, it is missing. This plate is also missing from the passenger side. These cushion plates (MB spares) cost here about USD100$ each.

DSL sells "Melody boards" to replace these under dash cushion plates. Melody board has two low frequncy woofers assembled. I like this idea.

sl-edition shop - Melodyboard für R/C 107 AKTIV

Does your W107 have these lower cushion plates assembled under your dash board?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.