Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Looking for Momo Steering Wheel Hub for '78 W107

11K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a steering wheel hub for my '78 450SL, and have had NO luck. Momo and Sparco say they haven't had one in stock in years, and the 2 co's stopped making them 10 years ago. If anyone knows where one might be available, new or used, please let me know. TIA.

#4 ·
And that's the rub, Momo listed hubs for '73-'76, then jumps right up to '80>, completely missing '77-'79. I think AMG had the same hub in their listings, but I haven't found that in writing yet. Do y'all think Classic Center could help with this one? Or is it out of their perview?

#8 ·
From the oldest past posts:
"I just bought mine from a local MOMO dealer.. It was a 3oth birthday present to myself and the Benz. Difficult thing was getting the correct boss kit. The only one listed in the MOMO catalogue was for the post 1985 107s (momo part number 6001). I accidentally got this one home and realised the spline was wrong. I hunted about on the net and found one occurance (!?) of another part number (6002) for other 107s, took the other one back to the shop and told them what I had found. They called their supplier who had no idea about the 6002 part existing, but had a look on the shelf and to everyone's surprise and my happiness, there was one lonely 6002. Old stock that had been there for a LONG time."

Pretty much what Momo and Sparco told me, and they didn't know of, or could not find out, if any of their dealers had any sitting on the shelf, told me I was SOL. I was hoping to get someone who might have a parts dept. with some NOS Momo or Sparco stuff sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I did overhear one of the guys say under their breath I was going to be looking for a 6002. My other hope was someone has parted out a W/R107 with an AMG, or aftermarket installed wheel/hub. One can hope...

#12 ·

^ Point of clarification.

A post '85 adapter would be for the GenII airbag wheel. Apparently that's a Momo #6001. The quoted bit doesn't say what year car the reviewer has that accepted the #6002, but either way that leaves another Momo part number unaccounted for.

79(?) to 85 used a recessed hex countersunk machine screw in an internally threaded steering shaft.

72 thru 78(?) had a hex nut on an externally threaded steering shaft.

One of two those would be the #6002. Don't know for sure the #6002 would fit your first design wheel.

#21 ·
I was able to reach only one of the retailers by phone, Crowder Customs, and according to their parts guy, the 6002 hub is unavailable, but says as the steering column is 15mm, as is the one in my '78, a 6001 will fit, but has a different height, how much he couldn't say, he doesn't have a 6002 available to compare to. So in order to confirm his statement, I'll have to buy one, and test.

So I'm still trying to find a source for an AMG Momo hub, from back in the day, which we know will fit correctly. If I can't locate one, I'll have to do the above, now known as Plan B. Maybe Renato, or anyone, can tell me if the Nardi/Personal hub will accept a Momo/Sparco steering wheel? That will be Plan C.

#22 ·
I was able to reach only one of the retailers by phone, Crowder Customs, and according to their parts guy, the 6002 hub is unavailable...
Sorry to hear.
Is it possible the Momo wheel will bolt up to a Nardi adapter? What is the bolt pattern and space?

Wish you the best...

#26 ·
Ok, got the assembly tonight and it's in perfect condition. The hub has two sets of holes drilled to accept a Nardi or MoMo bolt pattern. I took the momo off the 79 to check. No need for an adapter, spline is 15mm and height is 3". Conversly, the Nardi will not bolt up to the MoMo hub, so I'm going to be looking for a Nardi hub to fit the 84 SL. I'll post some pix tommorrow and fiqure a price for the 15mm hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.