Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Questions about increasing performance. 560SL

7K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  S320L1999 
#1 ·
The rubber gasket around the air filter where it mounts on my car is warped and partially off the intake. What is this part called? I need to replace that gasket. This is an 87' 560SL with 78K miles, just got it a few days ago and love it.

Second. Has anyone tried a 'test pipe' and removed the cat, put in a K & N, and a higher flow muffler on the 560? What good performance options are there?

#2 ·
You need to subscribe to EPC. Do a search on how to subscribe. Its free in the US at least for now, and about $10 a year elsewhere. You will need a credit card in the US but they wont charge it.

I believe you are talking about the gasket show in the screen shot from EPC.

As far as the exhaust goes anything you do to it will make the car suck. A factory original complete exhaust system was ~ $4000.00 last I checked. Aftermarket systems are about $800.00 and up. The cost of sound quality over the original will take a huge nose dive with an aftermarket. You can probably get 10 more HP with and open system but its not worth it.

Attachments

#6 ·
jplinville posted pictures of a resistor in the wiring on the LF fender. He said he can tell a difference in performance with it removed. I removed it but need to put it back in. I will try to get a pic. tomorrow.

JP hasn't been around for awhile. He moved to PA last week and is starting a new job.

#15 · (Edited)
EZL Mapping Resistor

Here it is, and where it's at. Mine was originally at the bottom of the cables in this bundle, and wrapped in electrical tape

I took mine out and have left it out, but the improvement is subtle at best. I always buy 93 octane anyway, so I don't think I need it.

Good road,

Attachments

#22 ·
I haven't really checked it carefully since removing it, sorry. But even with it I averaged 19 mpg (12.4 l/100km) on the highway, and about 15 mpg (15.7 l/100km) in city driving. That's about right for a 560 SL. As I understand it, the EZL mapping the resistor influences is only with the low RPMs. Not much effect on cruising the highway.

You engine bay looks great, all your plastics look like new. Did you clean them with something, did you get them bleached?
Thanks, bud. No bleach. I just wipe down the engine regularly with a soapy wash cloth followed by a wet one to rinse, then a dry one. A little Vista protectant on the plastic bits. I never use a hose on the engine anymore since one of the AC's thermal switches leaked and shorted out, disabling the air conditioner until I figured out the issue.

Good road,

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
You engine bay looks great, all your plastics look like new. Did you clean them with something, did you get them bleached?

Regarding the octane vs. power discussion, I am very sure our engine do not have knock sensors, which means that using higher octane will not give you more power, actually the opposite.

One should always try to use the "lowest possible octane"

The question then is, if without this resistor, and you continue to use low octane fuel the engine still does not "ping", it means you can run even more advance timing if you use higher octane.

Can the timing be changed by turning the distributor?

In europe we have 91, 95 and 98 or 100 octane fuel, and 91 oct and 95 cost the same, so no reason to use "normal".

#19 · (Edited)
...One should always try to use the "lowest possible octane"...
Regardless of knock sensor or not, I do not agree with this statement, unless it is issued from an economical standpoint.

On the 560, timing is not adjusted by the dist, but is a function of the programming in the EZL.

560SL has a comp ratio of 9:1 (just researched this recently)...

#20 ·
The knock sensor will adjust the timing according the the "engine pinging" -pre-combustion.

This being said, cars with KS will try to run the most advance possible=more power/efficiency with a given fuel (oct rating), so it you have a KS and run high oct fuel, the timing would advance.

Inversely, if you use low oct fuel, the KS will retard the timing, resulting in less power/efficiency.

This can be noticed with the use of the "dial" on the euro cars, where you can run low oct fuel, but you notice an increase in fuel consumption and less power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.