Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anybody want a 1972 stick shift - another reserve auction

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ScottinSoCal 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Very rare car indeed. But, It has been on Ebay at least six times. I think the fist time the reserve was 19,999.00.

It has some miles, but if the rust in minimal it would be a great car to buy at the right price.

I think last time it ran the top bid was under 5k. This car is suffering from Ebay over exposure.

#6 ·
A fuse cover plate and correct shifter and shifter boot would be a good place to start.

However, the car looks complete, the bumpers look good. In the end it comes down to rust. You cannot see the potential body issues from the pictures. It might have 20 pounds of bondo lurking about:eek:.

I wonder if that is a dash cap or a nice original dash?

#7 ·
I love this...

Looking for a Sportscar that is a blast to drive and a great investment, then look no further,

This one is in great mechanical shape, engine runs well, transmission and clutch are in excellent

working order. Brakes stop the car as they should. Even has new tires.
Gotta say...it doesn't tell me anything.

#11 ·
Got an eBay reply from the seller when I asked if it was a cap. He said it IS a cap. I still wonder how JP knows.

He also disclosed the price for which he said he'd sell the vehicle writing:

"Good eye! New Dash Cap. Bought the car in March and that was
how she came. Looks good, though." ...
"Looking to get around $X000-$Y000. Let me know, if you are
serious and I will work with you on the price."

(I replaced numbers with X and Y.)

#12 ·
Dash caps are sent with this detailed set of instructions that tell you how to glue them down. Huge pain in the ass, and takes forever for the glue to dry, and they fit nice and snug almost everywhere, so...... They don't get glued down. Mine isn't.

But when they're not glued down, the two places they have a little bit of slop is around the outside gunports and the instrument cluster. Instrument cluster isn't so noticeable, but that bottom "ear" around the outside gunport is a dead giveaway, if you know what to look for.

If you can get up close and personal, one way to tell - even if it's been glued down by a perfectionist - is you'll have rings in the center vent gunports, about 1/4" out from the trim. Very difficult to see in a photo (unless it's a color dash and a black dashcap), but always there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.