How much current should the battery draw when parked? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1984 500SL
How much current should the battery draw when parked?

I'm trying to diagnose a chronic dead battery. The battery goes dead when the car is not driven for a week or more. Both battery and alternator have been eliminated as the cause of the issue.

How much current should I see coming out of the positive terminal of the battery when the ignition is in position 0? With all lights turned off, only the clock and maybe the radio should be using a tiny amount of power, right? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure that I can compare against.
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Lifetime Premium Member
Should be somewhat less than 500 milliAmps. Becker radios of this vintage are noted for a failure mode that causes this symptom.

Remember: Testing for Amps with a meter set for Ohms will terminate your meter.

Scott
Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '14 GLK250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioTek View Post
Should be somewhat less than 500 milliAmps. Becker radios of this vintage are noted for a failure mode that causes this symptom.

Scott
While we were in SC for winter, I noticed that Sears had nice clamp on meters that read both AC & DC amps. About $60, I think. Should have bought one!

PS: My W210 is doing same thing. If I don't run it once a week, battery will barely turn engine over.
MBGraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Last time I looked into it (and it's been a while) the clamp-on type weren't able to read very low currents. They may have gotten better in the years since, but I haven't checked. If you run across any info, please post it.

Thanks,
Scott
RadioTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Last time I looked into it (and it's been a while) the clamp-on type weren't able to read very low currents. They may have gotten better in the years since, but I haven't checked. If you run across any info, please post it.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott,

The one I was looking at, was the $59.95 one in this link:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...=21&y=8&vName=

It says it has an accuracy of +/- 2.5% in the 0-300A range.

In this link, down about post 8, someone mentions using it and checking accuracy at 200Ma.

Now I really wish I had bought one. A friend has one, but he is the other side of town.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1984 500SL
Quote:

Scott
I never heard that about the vintage Becker radios. Until I figure this out, I think I'll get one of those battery terminal switches from Harbor Freight to disconnect the positive post when not in use. Thanks, all!
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
I never heard that about the vintage Becker radios. Until I figure this out, I think I'll get one of those battery terminal switches from Harbor Freight to disconnect the positive post when not in use. Thanks, all!
I have thought of doing that and even bought the switch. But of course I would lose my settings (and there are a lot on a W210). So alternative will be to connect a trickle charger when the car is left for longer periods. (we don't use E320 much in summer - I drive the SL.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1984 380 sl (currently wkg on 5.0 euro motor swap). 2002 Ford Expedition
It is probably going to be something that is not obvious and hard to see. You might check the trunk light light switch and make sure it is actually going off when closed. It takes amps to drag a mercedes battery down not milli amps. If the trunk light is operational remove the bulb for a few days and see if that changes anything. I consider myself pretty good at electrical stuff, not an expert but pretty good. I ran into the same problem a few years ago on my 380. Battery checked good. Could not find a significant draw. My best friend is a professional mechanic (30+ yrs but not mercedes) and he could not find it either. Just because it made him mad he ordered a new battery (even though it checked good) and the problem dissapeared. I don't understand why but I never argue with success. Might be worth a try if you don't find anything drawing power and the battery is more than a few years old.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
The normal procedure for chasing one of these is to put the ammeter in series with the battery (after pulling the bulb to the courtesy lights and trunk light, if needed) then to start pulling fuses one by one until the draw drops. Since there have been a fair number of tales about the stereo unit doing this, I would start there. Eliminate the easy stuff first.
RadioTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 82 380SL 96 SL500
Quote:

Thanks,
Scott
I thought the clamp meters could read AC or pulse circuits???
abiby is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class