I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting myself into more than what I can handle
I've wanted a 450 SL - mainly for nostaligic reasons and just as a toy.
I can handle any minor repairs requiring socket/wrenches but nothing more beyond that. I don't weld.
This lady has been calling me about a 74 450 sl.
Here are the bullets about the car - which I test drove and visited:
- Average re-paint, mint green
- hard top okay - small rust/crackle coming through repaint
- Needs a soft top replaced
- No top dolly/holder
- One crack in dash
- needs all window gaskets, window stripping replaced
- Interior seets/carpet excellent
- needs wood trim on dash - was removed but not replaced
- no rust - trunk is great
- could use replaced anondized aluminum
- tires have good tread but showing dry rot (prob older than 10 years)
Engine wise it runs great. Front end and all hoses, belts, timing was recently replaced or repaired.
She was asking 6,500, I thought it was too high. I offered $4. She has countered at $5,500
I'd say cosmetically it looks very good from "far away" but it does have a few paint drip marks splotches from an 'average" paint job.
Any suggestions? I"m guessing $5,000 for the top, dash, dash trim, all moulding and window seals and tires.
I haven't even tested the electrical or heater.
It runs fine.