Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

280SL Speedo Sending unit.

11K views 68 replies 14 participants last post by  grahamandbea 
#1 ·
'83 280SL 5 speed. Speedo and odo were working intermittently. Then all are dead.

Anyone know where the elec. sending unit for this one is? Trans? Dif?

Also could the problem be in the head unit. Any fuses on this circuit? I don't have the cd or EPC on this puter.

#68 ·
Further update, had the speedo out the other day just to be sure the wire was plugged in at the back and it was, while I had it out I thought I'd check the odometer gears and unless they'd already been replaced in the past they were perfect so that's one less job to tackle.
As a few of the warning lights were out I've replaced them with led's which I had from
LED Car Bulbs Ultimate Mods Car Styling and Performance Spares 2x 286 T5 wedge and 6x 501 T10 capless and delivered by return, as per other posts kept the filament lamp in the charge light position as it's needed to energise the alternator.
Anybody out there know of any way to test the speed sensor, eg what output should be at the speedo connection, voltage pulses?

#69 ·
Please help I really want to get my speedo working, is there a connector somewhere along the length of the wire from the speed sensor on the tranny to the speedo or is it one continuous length from end to end? I can't see one but it's not easy to see anything lying on my back with my nose pressed up against the floor!!
Any helpful suggestions greatly appreciated.
Graham

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.