86 560SL How to remove outside temp gauge? - Mercedes-Benz Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
Location: Irvine, California, USA
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ttnguyen23
(Thread Starter)
86 560SL How to remove outside temp gauge?

Hi all,

During reomoving for cleaning the instrmument cluster. I failed to remove the outside temp gauge?

Any advice?


Thanks
ttnguyen23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
strife2's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 560SL,380SL
Location: KY
Posts: 3,920
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It sits in a round gasket and you either have to remove the radio or the glove box to get your hand in there to push it out.

Don't even THINK of trying to pry it out from the front.

Unless it is broken or not lit, you can clean it without the trouble of removing it. If you want to repaint the needle or replace the bulb, be aware that it is almost impossible to disassemble. Almost

_________________________

Homebrew MB First Gear Start!

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm

_________________________
strife2 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
Location: Irvine, California, USA
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ttnguyen23
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strife2 View Post
It sits in a round gasket and you either have to remove the radio or the glove box to get your hand in there to push it out.

Don't even THINK of trying to pry it out from the front.

Unless it is broken or not lit, you can clean it without the trouble of removing it. If you want to repaint the needle or replace the bulb, be aware that it is almost impossible to disassemble. Almost
When I remove the cluster out. I try to reach my hand toward the back of the outside temp gauge and try to push from back toward the front. These gasket around the gauge is so tight. Unfortually I can not put it out.

I just need to take it out and clean the lens. It looks dirty and have to see.

I have the aftermaket radio installed in the car when I bought it.
One time I try to remove but it is hard to get it out.

I guess the close it one the temp gauge is the radio. I will try to remove the radio again.

You are sure just push in back the gauge it will comes out. No bracket or screws involved. Correct?


Thanks

Thanks
ttnguyen23 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
strife2's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 560SL,380SL
Location: KY
Posts: 3,920
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnguyen23 View Post
When I remove the cluster out. I try to reach my hand toward the back of the outside temp gauge and try to push from back toward the front. These gasket around the gauge is so tight. Unfortually I can not put it out.

I just need to take it out and clean the lens. It looks dirty and have to see.

I have the aftermaket radio installed in the car when I bought it.
One time I try to remove but it is hard to get it out.

I guess the close it one the temp gauge is the radio. I will try to remove the radio again.

You are sure just push in back the gauge it will comes out. No bracket or screws involved. Correct?


Thanks

Thanks
On my 85 and 86, the round temp gauge in the middle of the dash is in a round rubber gasket, and it pushes out. there was no bracket just the connector and cable that provides power for the electronics, lighting, and the wire for the temp sensor (4 pins total). MAybe some silicone spray or liquid soap would help.

Again, the outside of the lens can be cleaned spotless with the usual methods without removing the gauge; it's made of glass so scratching is not a high concern.

If the INSIDE of the glass is dirty, it would require disassembly, and again, this is EXTREMELY difficult because it was not meant to be disassembled. Frankly, unless you are very good with this stuff I wouldn't try it - but this is how it was done:

Center Temp Gauge (107) Restoration - ShopForum

_________________________

Homebrew MB First Gear Start!

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm

_________________________
strife2 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
Location: Irvine, California, USA
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ttnguyen23
(Thread Starter)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife2 View Post
On my 85 and 86, the round temp gauge in the middle of the dash is in a round rubber gasket, and it pushes out. there was no bracket just the connector and cable that provides power for the electronics, lighting, and the wire for the temp sensor (4 pins total). Maybe some silicone spray or liquid soap would help.

Again, the outside of the lens can be cleaned spotless with the usual methods without removing the gauge; it's made of glass so scratching is not a high concern.

If the INSIDE of the glass is dirty, it would require disassembly, and again, this is EXTREMELY difficult because it was not meant to be disassembled. Frankly, unless you are very good with this stuff I wouldn't try it - but this is how it was done:

Center Temp Gauge (107) Restoration - ShopForum
After I read your explanation. it seem to be hard to remove the front glass lens. My gauge is dusty inside and it need to remove the front glass to clean.
I guess I will think twice now.
ttnguyen23 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
strife2's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 560SL,380SL
Location: KY
Posts: 3,920
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hmmm....the gauge really seemed to be sealed pretty well (there's even a gasket at the rear where the connector prongs stick out). I wonder how yours got so dirty. Maybe a previous owner smoked a lot in the car?

_________________________

Homebrew MB First Gear Start!

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm

_________________________
strife2 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Location: Nor'east + So'wes Callahan Divide, Texas
Posts: 1,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dad gum aftermarket radios. The bain of consoles everywhere.

I'm just a singer in my own mind.
BenzToy is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
Location: Irvine, California, USA
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ttnguyen23
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strife2 View Post
Hmmm....the gauge really seemed to be sealed pretty well (there's even a gasket at the rear where the connector prongs stick out). I wonder how yours got so dirty. Maybe a previous owner smoked a lot in the car?
I wonder about it too. How can the dust get inside?
ttnguyen23 is offline  
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
108 cdi temp fan / temp gauge problems merc 108cdi V-Class 5 07-01-2007 05:16 AM
Problems fitting 500 fuel gauge-oil pres'-water temp gauge cluster to 560 clocks mutley666 W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 2 10-10-2005 10:03 AM
outside temp gauge bigboy338 W210 E-Class 0 09-28-2005 10:04 AM
Temp Gauge dahappybanana W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 2 08-01-2005 08:32 PM
When outside temp is higher than 40', how come the temp gauge still shows 40'? noelb W163 M-Class 5 04-16-2002 02:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome