86 560SL How to remove outside temp gauge? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1995 325IC and 1986 560SL
Send a message via MSN to ttnguyen23
86 560SL How to remove outside temp gauge?

Hi all,

During reomoving for cleaning the instrmument cluster. I failed to remove the outside temp gauge?

Any advice?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 560SL,380SL
It sits in a round gasket and you either have to remove the radio or the glove box to get your hand in there to push it out.

Don't even THINK of trying to pry it out from the front.

Unless it is broken or not lit, you can clean it without the trouble of removing it. If you want to repaint the needle or replace the bulb, be aware that it is almost impossible to disassemble. Almost

Homebrew MB First Gear Start!

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm

Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife2 View Post
It sits in a round gasket and you either have to remove the radio or the glove box to get your hand in there to push it out.

Don't even THINK of trying to pry it out from the front.

Unless it is broken or not lit, you can clean it without the trouble of removing it. If you want to repaint the needle or replace the bulb, be aware that it is almost impossible to disassemble. Almost
When I remove the cluster out. I try to reach my hand toward the back of the outside temp gauge and try to push from back toward the front. These gasket around the gauge is so tight. Unfortually I can not put it out.

I just need to take it out and clean the lens. It looks dirty and have to see.

I have the aftermaket radio installed in the car when I bought it.
One time I try to remove but it is hard to get it out.

I guess the close it one the temp gauge is the radio. I will try to remove the radio again.

You are sure just push in back the gauge it will comes out. No bracket or screws involved. Correct?

Thanks

Thanks
ttnguyen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnguyen23 View Post
When I remove the cluster out. I try to reach my hand toward the back of the outside temp gauge and try to push from back toward the front. These gasket around the gauge is so tight. Unfortually I can not put it out.

I just need to take it out and clean the lens. It looks dirty and have to see.

I have the aftermaket radio installed in the car when I bought it.
One time I try to remove but it is hard to get it out.

I guess the close it one the temp gauge is the radio. I will try to remove the radio again.

You are sure just push in back the gauge it will comes out. No bracket or screws involved. Correct?

Thanks

Thanks
On my 85 and 86, the round temp gauge in the middle of the dash is in a round rubber gasket, and it pushes out. there was no bracket just the connector and cable that provides power for the electronics, lighting, and the wire for the temp sensor (4 pins total). MAybe some silicone spray or liquid soap would help.

Again, the outside of the lens can be cleaned spotless with the usual methods without removing the gauge; it's made of glass so scratching is not a high concern.

If the INSIDE of the glass is dirty, it would require disassembly, and again, this is EXTREMELY difficult because it was not meant to be disassembled. Frankly, unless you are very good with this stuff I wouldn't try it - but this is how it was done:

Center Temp Gauge (107) Restoration - ShopForum
strife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Angry

Quote:
On my 85 and 86, the round temp gauge in the middle of the dash is in a round rubber gasket, and it pushes out. there was no bracket just the connector and cable that provides power for the electronics, lighting, and the wire for the temp sensor (4 pins total). Maybe some silicone spray or liquid soap would help.

Again, the outside of the lens can be cleaned spotless with the usual methods without removing the gauge; it's made of glass so scratching is not a high concern.

If the INSIDE of the glass is dirty, it would require disassembly, and again, this is EXTREMELY difficult because it was not meant to be disassembled. Frankly, unless you are very good with this stuff I wouldn't try it - but this is how it was done:

Center Temp Gauge (107) Restoration - ShopForum
After I read your explanation. it seem to be hard to remove the front glass lens. My gauge is dusty inside and it need to remove the front glass to clean.
I guess I will think twice now.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Hmmm....the gauge really seemed to be sealed pretty well (there's even a gasket at the rear where the connector prongs stick out). I wonder how yours got so dirty. Maybe a previous owner smoked a lot in the car?
strife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Dad gum aftermarket radios. The bain of consoles everywhere.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Hmmm....the gauge really seemed to be sealed pretty well (there's even a gasket at the rear where the connector prongs stick out). I wonder how yours got so dirty. Maybe a previous owner smoked a lot in the car?
I wonder about it too. How can the dust get inside?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class