560SL Manual transmission conversion, Crank position sensor Help? - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes 1980 6.9 Euro Mercedes 1984 190E Euro 3.2 24v M104 Project Mercedes 1985 500SEC Euro soon t
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
560SL Manual transmission conversion, Crank position sensor Help?

Hello everyone. I am Converting a 1986 560SL to a manual 4 speed transmission from a 350SL, I've researched alot of forums in the past people wanting to convert a new m117 or m116 aluminum block to a manual trans but the problem is always that the iron block motors like the 350 had a removable plate that the aluminum motors don't have. I have solved this problem but for my research and testing I had been using a Aluminum m116 380 and 500 Euro engine. Witch it would work fine on either of those motors but i decided to put it in my 560SL. And ran into a unforeseen problem.

The first problem is that Unlike the 380 and 500 engine the CPS sensor is on the rear drivers side head above the flywheel. This wont work when i change the fly wheel and housing. And it will have to be moved or eliminated.

the only options ive come up with so far, are
1 Change the distributer with one from a 380 or 500 engine and change the ignition system.

Or 2 move the sensor some where else, but where and how?

Or 3 eliminate the sensor, How can i make it run with out it?

Any suggestions and help would be great, thanks!

I'm 2 days into my conversion and if anyone is interested I will post pictures and my progress of my conversion
Actave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Bob's yer uncle!
 
nobby's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: The PIG -'83 280 SL 5 speed
Location: Barrie, Ontario, CANADA, eh?
Posts: 23,155
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actave View Post
I'm 2 days into my conversion and if anyone is interested I will post pictures and my progress of my conversion
Of course. It will also help legitimize your request.......... as you are a very new member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
The Pig is you and you are the Pig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelandraymond View Post
You wealthy elite, you self righteous pious fucks can go to hell .
http://www.benzypalooza.com/index.htm
nobby is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
roncallo's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Location: NC
Posts: 6,663
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actave View Post
Hello everyone. I am Converting a 1986 560SL to a manual 4 speed transmission from a 350SL, I've researched alot of forums in the past people wanting to convert a new m117 or m116 aluminum block to a manual trans but the problem is always that the iron block motors like the 350 had a removable plate that the aluminum motors don't have. I have solved this problem but for my research and testing I had been using a Aluminum m116 380 and 500 Euro engine. Witch it would work fine on either of those motors but i decided to put it in my 560SL. And ran into a unforeseen problem.

The first problem is that Unlike the 380 and 500 engine the CPS sensor is on the rear drivers side head above the flywheel. This wont work when i change the fly wheel and housing. And it will have to be moved or eliminated.

the only options ive come up with so far, are
1 Change the distributer with one from a 380 or 500 engine and change the ignition system.

Or 2 move the sensor some where else, but where and how?

Or 3 eliminate the sensor, How can i make it run with out it?

Any suggestions and help would be great, thanks!

I'm 2 days into my conversion and if anyone is interested I will post pictures and my progress of my conversion
Why cant you use the front mounted 380/500 CPS is it not compatible? Definitely post pictures and part numbers. I've often thought of doing this.
roncallo is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Location: Nor'east + So'wes Callahan Divide, Texas
Posts: 1,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bastiges. I've got a sawzall. He. He. He.

I'm just a singer in my own mind.
BenzToy is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Always Remembered RIP
 
ussun's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
Location: Cold Spring, NY
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you starting with all the parts at hand or are you getting as you go. I'm guessing it's all used parts. I talked to a parts guy about doing a 5speed into a 450 and when he started getting to $9000.00. I started asking about something else.

I hope your not doing it all to smoke the rear wheels. We all understand the SL's auto tranny stops that pretty much.

Plus pics of the whole thing would be great.

PS Try not to bother Roncallo to much, he's got his own little project to finish up Back to work John.
Attached Images
 

PS. I can only hope your sl's c's are driving as nice as mine is

Ah that magic feeling of being post mortgage and zero debt. (between repairs)
ussun is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Location: Nor'east + So'wes Callahan Divide, Texas
Posts: 1,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go look for ....... doors ussun.

I'm just a singer in my own mind.
BenzToy is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
roncallo's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Location: NC
Posts: 6,663
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussun View Post
Are you starting with all the parts at hand or are you getting as you go. I'm guessing it's all used parts. I talked to a parts guy about doing a 5speed into a 450 and when he started getting to $9000.00. I started asking about something else.

I hope your not doing it all to smoke the rear wheels. We all understand the SL's auto tranny stops that pretty much.

Plus pics of the whole thing would be great.

PS Try not to bother Roncallo to much, he's got his own little project to finish up Back to work John.
Damn

He caught me screwing off again. It's hot out there ya know.
roncallo is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why can't you make the sensor work with the new flywheel? IIRC, you would need to remove teeth to create notches for the sensor to read.

Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
1996 SL500
1966 230SL
1966 200 Fintail
ctaylor738 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes 1980 6.9 Euro Mercedes 1984 190E Euro 3.2 24v M104 Project Mercedes 1985 500SEC Euro soon t
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok, sorry for my lack of keeping up with this thread I didnt think i was going to get any response after the first few days. Anyway. I have preceded with my conversion. and the engine is now in the car with the 4 speed manual. It runs. I haven't had a drive shaft made yet. It needs to be much longer. And i need to hook up the clutch lines and shift linkage.

I solved the CPS sensor problem by using a M117 500 euro engine distributor.
The engine will start but will not run smooth. I think i might still be having timing problems. As well as alot of wiring problems as most of the connectors have fallen off or have damaged wires. on the engine harness.

I will be posting more pictures and info soon.

So my current problems i am addressing are. the spark timing, I have hooked up the CPS lead from the distributor to the orginal system. I set the cam to TDC mark. and pully mark to #1 set distributor at #1 mark. it is hard starting and runs very rough, Does this sound like a timing problem?

as i mentioned before the wires to the cis, throttle body, sensors etc are very messed up so those will have to be sorted with.
Actave is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes 1980 6.9 Euro Mercedes 1984 190E Euro 3.2 24v M104 Project Mercedes 1985 500SEC Euro soon t
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission and plate test mounted on M116 380 Block:


Plate, Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate mounted on m117 560SL engine.
Most parts were from a 350SL, the hub on the crank of the motor had a pin in it for lining up the auto flywheel that had to be drilled and removed also, The 560 had a rear crank shaft positioning sensor that had to be removed and replaced with earlier distributor that has the sensor on it.




4 Speed 350SL manual Mounted and ready to go: The transmission did not bolt directly up, the plate had to be modified and mounting had to be changed. how ever some of the main bolts did line up.


Reinstalled original engine in 1986 560SL with 500SEL euro distributor, and 350SL manual transmission.


Clutch pedals and shifter installed:
Pedal cluster required little modification, Drilling and expanding the mounting bolt holes. Cluster is from a 240D, The sifter is from a 190E it required no mods. but shift pattern and linkage movement is probably going to be a problem and I may use its parts to repair and use the 240D 4 speed shifter.

Actave is offline  
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
Crank Position Sensor dannydang W220 S-Class 46 02-15-2014 07:26 AM
Crank Position Sensor 190benzo26sc W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 13 07-31-2012 04:50 PM
crank angle sensor or crank position sensor Gwagensofli G-Class 1 07-31-2007 04:37 PM
Crank position sensor, where is it? starscream W140 S-Class 3 10-03-2006 08:55 AM
Where is the Crank Position sensor? Ben Kokes R170 SLK Class 2 05-10-2002 06:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome