Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Repairing Console

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  4wsboy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 ·
If I were to repair it, using something like Plastex , I would probably have to remove the console anyway, to repaint it. At that time, having a replacement unit would be the best choice.

Problem, is to find one. I did buy one on eBay last year for under $100 plus $23.00 UPS to nearby UPS Store (Freight specified in auction). But then vendor must have put it in an oversize box and told me the freight would now be over $100! Tried to resolve it, but they were clueless. (This is a vendor that specializes in new and used MB parts, but will remain nameless!)

Still looking!

#4 ·
I always negotiate the shipping before paying for the Ebay item. It's really easy to accept the inflated charge on the invoice without question. My recent seller wanted $150 to ship four alloy wheels; I checked with my UPS store, calculated the cost and got the seller to drop it to $80. This is a hidden source of additional revenue for the sellers. That's my .02.

#5 ·
Bottomline - In the case I referred to, the vendor had one of those UPS calculators on his auction. So he must have entered the dimensions weight etc for the item and it said shipping to my zip code would be $23.50. But, as I said, the shipping guy probably put it in an oversize box! But they got nasty when I would not pay the $100+ shipping charge, so I canceled out (with eBay's blessing!)

Anyway - no more eBay war stories - Anyone think I can repair the console using Plastex?? I found an instructional video on their site. Also wrote to them.

But if anyone has a reasonably priced used console, please let me know!

#8 ·
I know this one is old, but it's got the right title for the questions I'm about to ask. However, I know there are threads out there containing the actual data I'm seeking. I hope to update this thread with links to those, or just put this information in here.

Well, I went out to do a little vacuuming, and it ended up with the car being "parked" in the garage for a little while again. I knew my center console needed to be tightened up somehow, so while cleaning the car today, I figured it was as good a time as any to investigate. I removed the center console successfully, but overall the grade I give myself for today's work:

FAIL

Turns out that some PO cut the console mounting screws that would have been so easily accessible with just the climate control panel out. (See attached picture.)

Additionally, I snapped off the cracked back end piece that slides under the carpet that goes over the rear hump. So while piecing it back together, I guess I'll fill the cracks and paint the whole thing before putting it back in. Sure to be a week or so.

Maybe order some lightbulbs for the AC control panel etc. Maybe consider a radio replacement from the original Becker so I can really rock out. (But I like the Becker.) My driver side vent flap isn't closing either. So that's on the list. New shifter boot ring too.

So what are my questions?

1) Why would anyone cut off the console mounting tabs (right under the radio)?

2) Are there "best practices" to repair the center console mounting tabs that have been cut off?

3) Is the ashtray frame supposed to have anything other than the plastic into which it is screwed (with those two screws holding the frame into the console)?

4) Can anyone identify any of these small pieces I found laying on the floor once the console was removed? (See attached picture.)
(Clockwise starting in center)
a) Tan thing in center: Chunk of foam from inside of console
b) Screw next to it: Probably an old ashtray frame screw I think... could be wrong
c) Bottom right clear thing (I have no idea.). It looks like lucite that is shaped like a ridged cylinder, almost as if it is a light conductor for the inside of some knob or something
d) Bottom center: AC Panel lightbulb
e) Broken clip just left of bottom center (I have no idea.)
f) Left side, some type of slide clip of some sort. It almost looks like something would slide onto it to be mounted somewhere
g) Some type of spring clip. At first I thought it was a clip into which a wood screw would go, but there are no holes. It just seems to be a slip that's supposed to keep something hanging somewhere.

THANKS!!
Mike

Attachments

#9 ·
So what are my questions?
Don't know if these are any help, but seeing everyone likes pics, here are some of my old console as I was removing it.

BTW, on "new" console, I repaired a couple of tabs using bits of plastic I happened to have and JB-Weld.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Wow I hadn't realized you interior was also red. Looks just like mine. I guess I now see that the hump carpet is supposed to be glued down. That was part of the reason I broke off a piece of the back as I was removing it. It was already cracked, and I am telling myself that there was no way that the console was coming out without that piece breaking off. Now after I fix it, the challenge will surely be getting it all back in there without breaking it again. Problems in my current console:
- Mounting tabs have been cut off (worst problem IMO)
- cracked in cross section where mounting screws should go
- three hairline cracks (putty and paint?)
- tab broke off rear (looks like lots of glue and maybe glue it in place when I put it all back together will probably be ok as it's all covered with carpet.
- I never even noticed that the driver side below the seat was in such bad shape. I figure I'll try to smooth that out with some type of filler and paint it all red. I never noticed it before, so I'm sure if I paint it read it will never be noticed again.

I see there's an SLC in Austin, TX that was just wrecked and appears to have a good red interior. The guy has $7000 spent on the car, and would let it go for less, but I'm not getting the feeling that he wants to part it out. I also have no idea of the condition of his interior. I'm not even sure if the SLC has the same console.

I've got to say that I never knew my console had so many problems. When you open things up to daylight it's amazing what you find.

EDIT:
FOUND IT! CROSS LINK Here's the thread whee someone already posted an answer to my question of how to tighten the console. Now that my console is out it makes much more sense to me: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...console-loose-broken-frame-2.html#post4692489

Attachments

#12 ·
Wow I hadn't realized you interior was also red. Looks just like mine.
It's not red - That old one was at one time Mahogany. But for some reason the plastic fades to a reddish colour which even looks more red when photographed.

I bought a black replacement console and then painted it. Here are some more pics. For some reason they chose to make the dash the same colour as the darker seat and door panel insert. I think they called it Dark Brown.

You do need to remove the seats to get the console in and out.

Attachments

#11 ·
After all my excavation in the car, it wasn't really apparent why my entire console had seemed to have shifted back. I assumed it was all properly aligned front-to-back because there was a screw in the top center of the back (but none on the side holes I hadn't seen before). However, there was a big gap at the back of the shifter boot making it look like the console slid back.

Now I can see from the last picture in MBGraham's Post #9, and the first picture in my post #10, that there (most likely) should not be a screw or hole in that spot. MBGraham's shows no hole in the console there like mine. Ah ha! Some goon probably thought he'd stick a single screw in the easiest-to-reach location, as opposed to using the side holes that might have been very difficult to reach. Once again, possibly taking a shortcut, the goon cut the plastic mounts out of the console for some stupid reason. I see the idea of fabricating a new connection with some sheet metal (from the thread linked in post #10). I guess that will be my plan to fix the top mounting screws.

I added two more pictures, one showing the cut out mounting tabs, and the other showing the fact that maybe I should remove the seats to put in some new seat pads. I can't recall if I cleaned this side of the rear carpet once already or not. Regardless, it's clearly disintegrating.

Attachments

#14 ·
Well, I jammed some metal that I had leftover from some duct work, and it strengthened up the plastic under the radio... until it cracked and started disintegrating on me. Boy that sucked. Then I realized that probably the best way to jack up your console is to stuff foam under your ashtray mount on top of the tranny-hump.

Tonight kind of sucked in the garage... let me count the reasons why.

1) Console plastic below the radio, above the climate control disintegrated on me. Discovered that I probably should have just stuffed something under the ashtray instead of all this work. I've now got a gap between the climate control panel and the radio where light shines through. I'm considering filling it with black caulk. No B.S.

2) Broke a few more pieces (that are not easy to see) off the red console at the back, and made a few chips around the ashtray and radio.

3) Lost the "knob" for the center vent damper/closer. I think this fell in behind the console as I was installing the console. Too much work to go fishing for it.

4) Discovered how damned hard it is to diagnose and fix a driver side vent that won't close. I finally got it working, but long after the time period at which I would have called the task "rewarding".

5) I have a bunch of extra parts, including one single wire with some funky plug ends. I wonder if it is an AM loop for the radio that fell out. I should have taken notes about what goes where.

6) Got the car back together, ready to drive and started the car to test drive my new tires, only to hear that loud noise which I think is a shot AC compressor.

The good things:
- Console now higher
- Console now more forward, and fits shifter plate better
- driver side vent opening and closing
- discovered a flexible credit card makes it very easy to install speaker covers
- put the car back together and can't wait to try my new tires... after I get the AC belt off.

I wish I had it on the road instead of working on it. Maybe tomorrow I can test drive those new tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.