Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Where is?

822 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  smack 
#1 ·
The water temp sensor on a 73 450SL? Scared the bejesus out of myself today 60 miles away from home when temp guage went from 175 to top pegged by word "Temp" instantly. Checked everything out, no smell not overly warm, no smoke, no leaks, water in the overflow tank, no water in the oil. After car sat for two hours, turned key and right back to pegged again. Ergo, the sensor or guage shorted out or became disconnected. Right? Got home, whipped out my official MB service manual and can't find the physical location of the sensor. Any help would be appreciated, folks.

#2 ·
smack said:
The water temp sensor on a 73 450SL?
I believe it's in the same place mine is - on top of the thermostat housing, down on the water pump.

Scared the bejesus out of myself today 60 miles away from home when temp guage went from 175 to top pegged by word "Temp" instantly.
Oh hell, I'd have been in a panic. At least is wasn't the engine, just a sensor.

#3 ·
Panic wasn't the word.....it was worse. Slammed on the brakes to pull into a gas station which fortunately was a block away and started frantically looking and sniffing at everything. Then the light bulb lit up. Pegged, no just hot. Short. Thanks for pointing me at the wire. I'll go look to see if its undone. Hopefully I don't have to dive behind the dash. Thanks - forum to the rescue again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.