Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Play in Steering

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  republica 
#1 ·
Moving on to my next project, I have a small amount of play in my steering wheel. When the wheel does engage, the steering is fine its just about a half inch of play either way in what appears to be the steering linkage itself. Any ideas?

#3 ·
dhuey said:
Moving on to my next project, I have a small amount of play in my steering wheel. When the wheel does engage, the steering is fine its just about a half inch of play either way in what appears to be the steering linkage itself. Any ideas?
dhuey,

I believe the max allowable is 1" at the wheel. Sounds like you're there. Not knowing the condition of any of your steering components, my first best guess would be the steering coupler where the column meets the gear box.

Dave

#4 ·
isthisdave said:
dhuey,

I believe the max allowable is 1" at the wheel. Sounds like you're there. Not knowing the condition of any of your steering components, my first best guess would be the steering coupler where the column meets the gear box.

Dave
That's your best guess? Ok, good one.
However, I too have the 1" of play and my coupler is mint and my front end is true.
My best guess for me would be a tired steering box. Not tired enough to change, however.

#5 ·
nobby said:
Not tired enough to change, however.
Ya big wimp. I'm changing mine and the only thing wrong with it is a hellacious leak.

Come on, man up and change your steering box. I don't want to be the only one suffering through this.

#7 ·
isthisdave said:
Have you tried adjusting the gear as per the service manual instructions in section 46-480?
I have, sir. It made a significant difference, however, I don't want to go too far and speed up it's death. I can live with it for now.

#8 ·
ScottinSoCal said:
Ya big wimp. I'm changing mine and the only thing wrong with it is a hellacious leak.

Come on, man up and change your steering box. I don't want to be the only one suffering through this.
I'll wait until you are done and then pick your brain and borrow your tools while I drink your beer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.