Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Were these seat covers an option?

817 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  miked56 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Looks like replacement covers. It also looks like these are not the original seats for this car. The chrome hinge cover sides are not present. Also the side bolsters are not there. The headrests are not as original. The overall shape is not for the 560SL. Maybe from another SL model?

#3 ·
Alkraut said:
Looks like replacement covers. It also looks like these are not the original seats for this car. The chrome hinge cover sides are not present. Also the side bolsters are not there. The headrests are not as original. The overall shape is not for the 560SL. Maybe from another SL model?

Those almost look like the seats in my old '77 280SE W116. They don't have a seat back release, I'll bet those are fixed back.

#4 ·
isthisdave said:
Those almost look like the seats in my old '77 280SE W116. They don't have a seat back release, I'll bet those are fixed back.
I think they are from a sedan. The headrests are similar to the ones in my 450SL, but the armrest design is different.

#6 ·
DOCJBK said:
Also if you look at the bolster under the steering wheel it isn't carpet, its the same leather or vinyl from the seats.
That's the way it was done in my 450SL.

It looks like they've taken little bits and pieces from all over to put this car together.

#8 ·
I would guess the frames and headrests were from a 450,and the seat covers
were for a 560.The upholsterer had extra material because the 560 frame has
a bolster.I would bet he took the slack out by stuffing foam in to make a bolster
horizontal.Is that a dash cap?I thought 560 had non glare black
Bob

#9 ·
Bob2 said:
I would guess the frames and headrests were from a 450
Nope, I just looked again and those seats are definitely from a sedan. They've got the net "baskets" on the seatback.

#10 ·
isthisdave said:
Sent a question to the seller about the seats, we'll see what kind of response he offers.
Did as well. I also asked him if it had a dash cap since the drivers side vent surround looked off, I'm not at my car so maybe it's just me or the pictures.

Here is his response;

"Hi, this is the original material on the seats. I am not sure what you mean about the dash but it is also original. If you would like to do a pre-sell inspection please feel free to call and set up an appointment. You can reach me at 423-943-0130. Also, the reserve price is $9500."

I'd say stay away. Who knows what else is hidden/unknown about this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.