Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Possible varnish clogs in the intake system

730 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Nascar Fan 
#1 ·
I have an old 1980 450sl that I resurrected from 5-10 years of sitting. The car only has 37k miles. Gas tank is clean and the car is running good. New plugs, distributer and wires also. The car was running super super rich and missing until I leaned up the mixture via the air/fuel adjustment screw. I want to check some of the intake/air components that could possibly be varnished stuck or clogged. I just want to make sure that I didn't mask a problem by adjusting the mixture. The car still has a very very slight lul/miss in the idle but it is 99.9% better than it was before i adjusted the mixture.

#2 ·
My 80 does about the same thing. runs good but at idle it seems to have a intermitten miss as heard in the exhaust. I think I still have a vacuum leak because I have a high idle that can't be adjusted down via the screw. I can adjust it down with the plate screw, but this cause it to run rich at idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.