Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Coolant & Mechanic Reference

907 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Alkraut 
#1 ·
Just got a 1986 560SL and am loving every minute of it!

Two Questions:

1. The coolant looks strange to me, kind of redish and almost milky looking. The mechanic who looked at the car before the purchase said this was normal. Any comments?

2. I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good mechanic in the area who understands these cars?

#2 ·
john2007 said:
Just got a 1986 560SL and am loving every minute of it!
Congratulations, and Welcome to the forum!

john2007 said:
The coolant looks strange to me, kind of redish and almost milky looking. The mechanic who looked at the car before the purchase said this was normal. Any comments?
Not to sure about the milky part, but the MB coolant is red rather than green.

john2007 said:
I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good mechanic in the area who understands these cars?
You might try this board here, Good MB Shops - ShopForum , or perhaps Nobby or some of the other Ontarians(?) may have a suggestion or two.

Dave.

#7 ·
M-B coolant is "HOAT" type (hybrid organic acid technology). It is safe for aluminum components. The current supplier to M-B is Ashland who makes Valvoline and Zerex products. The Zerex G-05 coolant is the correct one and is the M-B formula. It is yellow/orange. The red coolant may be Dex-cool which is not correct for the car, nor is the green types. You can get the Zerex G-05 at NAPA. Good Luck with your car!
G-05® Antifreeze/ Coolant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.