Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1980 500slc

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dentedgoo 
#1 ·
Greetings

I have the cahnce to buy a great condition 1980 500SLC. I know nothing about the SLC, except they are very cool ha ha ha.
Is there anything that I should be looking out for?

Cheers
Sean

#4 ·
The 500 SLC is an extrememly rare car about 1500 made (including the 450 5.0 SLC). Most are in Germany, and quite are number were used as rally cars. I'm pretty sure the engine and trans are the same as your 500SL. So probably just look out for rust. and damage repairs. Also if it's RHD it's not a 500, I noticed your in NZ, so these cars are extrememly rare down here. Post the VIN if you want to be a 100%

#5 ·
Yes, the 107.026 (450SLC-5.0 and 500SLC) are very rare cars. I was fortunate to be able to purchase one late last year. More about it and pictures at New addition to my family and an article I wrote a while back about the rally versions at The 5-litre SLC Rally Cars

For lots more info from knowledgeable owners see Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums - '026' Cars (W107)

Just be sure that it really is a genuine 107.026 and good luck with your potential purchase of what is becoming a collectors' classic.

Greg

#6 ·
Anyone with driving impressions of 450SLC 5.0's/500SLC's with the three speed tranny as opposed to the later 500SL's with 722.3 four-speeds?

Not sure if the '80-'82 500SL's continued to use three speeds? I notice these cars used a PRNDSL tranny shifter gate design as opposed to the PRND32-B on my car.

#7 ·
bondavi said:
Anyone with driving impressions of 450SLC 5.0's/500SLC's with the three speed tranny as opposed to the later 500SL's with 722.3 four-speeds?

Not sure if the '80-'82 500SL's continued to use three speeds? I notice these cars used a PRNDSL tranny shifter gate design as opposed to the PRND32-B on my car.
V8 107 models (including the 450SLC-5.0) ran the 3 speed auto (722.0) up until the introduction of the 380SL, 380SLC, 500SL and 500SLC when the 4 speed auto (722.3) was introduced. The only means of performance comparison is in the 107026 where the 450SLC-5.0 and 500SLC were almost identical cars apart from the transmissions. Whilst both gave the same top speed (as would be expected with the same engine outputs and rear axle ratios), the 500SLC was about three-quarters of a second faster to 100km/h (62mph) than the 450SLC-5.0.

As to driving impressions, I can only compare my 350SLC with its 3 speed auto to my 500SLC with its 4 speed auto (which still retains the PRNDSL selector markings). Both transmissions have a similar feel especially under normal starts where the 4 speed starts off in second. The most obvious difference is the lower gearing when first is used in the 500. Another obvious difference is the lower geared reverse in the four speed, even despite the somewhat taller rear axle ratio of the 500. Excessive throttle openings in the 350 in first or reverse will not cause any drama. Excessive throttle openings in the 500 with lower geared first and reverse (combined with its greater engine torque) can result in considerable loss of traction, even with its limited slip diff!

Many would conclude that the 4 speed 722.3 is the prefered auto and from a performance perspective it is. As to longevity though, it does not have the reputation of the 3 speed 722.0 which last a long time between rebuilds.

Greg

#9 ·
A friend of mine had a 560sel with a three speed and he said it had a 6.3liter in it. That car was on fire, it could even beat my car on the open road, I have a lot of pride so my humbleness should be observed.

I heard the three speeds are fast but they also are gas hogs.

Aussie guy I have to complement you on your superb taste in cars. A 350slc, very cool, and a 500slc, even cooler. We slc drivers could show the sl's who rule the road through the twisties b/c with the wide wheel base my car handle soooooo good even at high speed. I've heard good things about both of those cars, especially the 350. If I ever decide to get another I would want either a 350 pre 1076 for smog reasons, a 300sl or another 280slc (my favorate). Good luck with your cars, and show that 350slc who's boss, don't let it push you around!

G
#10 ·
Hello, This is my first posting. I own a 500SLC. Built Aug 79, number 1339. My car has the 3 speed trans. 722006-02-001428. It is coupled to the engine 1177960-12-001408. This car has 79K orig miles. Runs and drives perfectly. I also own a 79 450SL, I can honestly state the SLC out drives the SL. I am really curious as to the actual collectability of these 026 cars. I am told by most they are not. I can not find any collectors showing interest at all. Any advise I would appreciate all who are informed.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum, Brentwood. You'll get a lot of good advice here, but also a number of sarcastic comments (We don't mean any harm, we just never learned table manners!), so make sure you have a thick skin!

One small point: You stand a chance of getting a question like your answered by more people if you post it as a new topic instead of changing the topic on an existing topic. More people will see it that way and will know (from the title) exactly what you're asking. I'm not saying this to be rough, but because starting a topic addressing your question directly might get more answers and help you better.

#12 ·
Welcome, Brentwood. Start your own thread, brother. People respond better. Better for you, in the long run.
I was going to say STOP PIGGY BACKING ON OTHER THREADS....but that woulda been rude and not at all nice to a new, and, I might add, valued member.

G
#13 ·
Thanks!!!

I want to thank you guys, for the sound advise. I am arookie at this threads postings stuff. I do much better with my hans on the wheel or with wrenches in them. Be patient I am learning. Thanks again, piggy backing ? sounds like it could be fun!!
Brentwood MB
107026 12 001339
107044 12 056596

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.