Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ultimate SL Stereo

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  SLeazy Rider 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried Performance Products' "Ultimate SL Stereo"? They replace the dash speakers with 2-way midrange/tweeter speakers. The rear shelf is removed and replaced with a custom-built full enclosure that is ported and baffled with two 8" woofers. No holes anywhere other than the slits in the front of the new rear shelf to allow the subs to come through; it looks almost exactly like the original rear shelf and is carpeted to match the rest of your interior. Speakers are made by BMI, price is $679, and installation is DIY.

I'm tempted, because it doesn't ruin the original look. Bu I don't know much about stereo systems and know nothing about BMI. Any advice would be appreciated.

Glenn

#2 ·
I looked into that setup also, but decided not to buy it because of cost. I wound up having my local stereo guy removing the shelf and installing two 6 X 9 speakers. They not only work great, adding sound to the rear of the car, but look good too. And, they cost much less than the Perf Prod setup. My radio is a Blaupunkt Navigation radio that works wonders and looks almost like factory!

Attachments

#5 ·
I would not recommend installing the performance products system. While it may sound better due to the "better" quality speakers, you will still be running the new speakers and 8" woofers with stock amplification power. If you do not push enough power through the speakers it will not take full advantage of the available sound. My experience with the 107s is that you should replace everything audio wise. The stock sound system is horrible sounding and terribly underpowered. Replace the head unit with a CD player, the front speakers with 3 1/2"-4" drivers, and put 6*9 in the rear. Driven with the head unit the sound will be fine, but throw in a 50W*4 amp made by a reputable manufacturer (eclipse), and you will finally be able to enjoy quality sound in the SL.

#6 ·
Just on the subject of installing stereos... I installed one last weekend with a CD, SD card reader and bluetooth (how nice to drive a classic you can hear yourself talk in).

Like most new stereos there's a bright LCD display - which due to the rake of the windshield I discovered is now reflected left-of-center in the window after dark. It doesn't bother me but if you did a lot of night driving it might be annoying.

Obviously in 1972 the old 'becker' radio didn't cause that problem.

#7 ·
When you remove the package shelf you will see two deep wells in the floor underneath. They are wonderful for base response on standard 6x9" speakers. I purchased a pair of 6x9 Sony speakers for 90.00 at best buys. Using a standard jigsaw I cut holes in the package tray. This was incredibly simple. The speaker grills are large and will cover any minor mistakes. I put two dish towels inside whe wheel wells for additional base response. It sounds fantastic and cost almost nothing to do.

#11 ·
SLeazy Rider said:
I understand your reservations. I am no DIY'er, so I would have to find someone to install it for me. Still, is that price ($697) in the ballpark for four speakers plus the custom-built enclosure?

Glenn
Yo Rider,
Just go to good radio shop with $700.00 buck and you won't believe what kind of set up you can get installed. I got in dash dvd 4 speakers w/rear view camera installed for that much. w/ over ride switch to see it all when ever I want. He even told me I have 2 video inputs left for more stuff.

#12 ·
Just saw that this thread had been resurrected. It's been almost a year since my original post. As an update, I went with an entirely different setup. I replaced the Becker with a Nakamichi CD-300 head unit -- IMHO the best low-cost "stock look" alternative out there. It really blends nicely with the interior of the car. I replaced the in-dash speakers with Infinity Kappa 32.7cf's -- a little harsh and brittle in the higher frequencies but a tremendous improvement over the stock speakers. I put 2 Kicker 8" midbass speakers in the rear parcel shelf. And I'm driving the system with a JL Audio 300/4 amp placed in the trunk on the right side, on a removeable panel that sits atop the battery enclosure. This is not earth shattering sound (didn't want that anyway), but it serves nicely for the classic 60's and 70's rock and pop (and some more recent alternative) that I listen to most of the time. Nice definition for jazz too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.