Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

When is the spare too old?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  MBGraham 
#1 ·
My spare is original, so about 20 years old. It's never been used, nor have all the tools (jack etc) for changing it. So needless to say the threads are perfect (and I wish the rims on the car were as luscious as the rim on the spare!).

BUT.

If I press hard on the side of it, the rubber turns kind of white streaked locally, and feels very un-springy. Like you would expect of 20 year old rubber, kind of like the rubber bands at the bottom of your office cabinet.

Should I be looking to replace the spare? (The working tires are all pretty new).

#3 ·
For average car tire the recommendation is to replace it after 5-6 years due to the age.
I have 8-years old tires on the rear of our ML, but we always park it in the shade.
Spare last longer, since it is not exposed to the UV, but definitely not for 20 years.
If you want to take your chances -install it and see the "perfectly good thread" coming off at higher speed.
I did [:D]

#4 ·
When is a spare too old?
I'd say certainly now... I agree with the 5-6 year rule. The last tires I replaced on my wife's auto had over 60% tread left (michelin ATX LT series), but were developing spider=web cracks all along the sidewalls and between the tread blocks. The tires had 107,000miles and were approximately 7 years old.

#7 ·
I have a brand "new" Pirelli mounted on a brand "new" Bundt as a spare. Probably original. I am surprised it wasn't pillaged along with the tool kit and lug wrench.
How far is the spare supposed to get you? I suppose if you enjoy backroads touring (as I do) you should probably need a dependable spare.
Did I just talk myself into it?

#15 ·
I just checked my spare - Last time was probably in 1990 when I gave the storage area coat of paint :eek:

At first, I thought my gauge was not working, so I got another one. Tire did not seem to be flat, but in fact it was :(. I pumped it up to 35 pounds and it is holding air.

My datacard says my car came with Dunlops, so this is probably an original tire! It says Dunlop SP57 Rayon 205 70VR14 Radial Tube Type , Made in Germany.

It looks like this:

I found this on the net amongst MB collectibles!

#11 ·
Be careful when replacing the old tires. Check the wheel balancers, they might be original Mercedes-Benz with the logo on them. At least mine does, and it was on the car (being used) when I got it. Bought 4 new tires and had them installed, switched the spare with the newest tire (which was originally the spare, you could tell as it even had the orange dot sticker on it).

Then keep your original tire in your garage as a small sitting spot if you like [:D]

#12 ·
I have Michelin MXV as spare and i has definitely used at some time in previous life.
It has been toroughly cleaned and tyre polished before it was stowed as spare and guaranteed 20+years later looks like new, no cracks and no roting. Rubber feels like new.
Anyway, i keep a can of "tyre fix" of 4x4 size. I'd prefer to hump to a garage to fix running tyre rather than to replace with a spare.

#13 ·
i always thought about that, after changing a tyre, what would happen if you blew one up, then after changing to the spare lowered the car just to hear another kaboom, now that would suck

#14 ·
Do not get me wrong, I test my spare once a year for speeds up to 60km/h when I take rims for inner side washing.

However, most of punctures can be fixed with a can of "tyre fix", much enough to drive 50-100km at low speeds.

I do not get it how can tyre explode or so if one has good enough quality tyres fitted.

#17 ·
I wasn't actually asking - just re-cycling this old thread ;)

I figure if it has been there since 1990 with no air, I can just start adding air and it will get me home (which with old car is never very far). Failing that a phone call home will hopefully bring help quickly :)

Tires probably degrade mainly by exposure to sunlight and pollution in road environment - Probably last a lot longer unused and tucked away in the trunk. But 36 years is a long time!

I think I will just keep it inflated and take my chances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.