Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1976 450sl engine replacement -- HELP!

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nobby 
#1 ·
My son trashed the engine (hole in block) of my favorite car! So I'm looking for a replacement drop-in engine that will fit. My tranny is new (under 10k miles), so I would want it to match up.

What years and engine sizes should I be looking for?

If it helps, here's the number from the car: 107 044 12 033676. I looked for an engine number, but can't find one.

Thanks

#2 ·
A post in the 107 forum would be a good idea... Maybe the host here will move it. The it will show up in both places!

If you search online, you can find complete longblocks for about $7500US, and short blocks a little less. A lot of money in my opinion for a 107, but guaranteed results. If the body is perfect to excellent, and interior is same, maybe its not out of line?

Good luck!

#4 ·
I was just over at ourSl.com, and adsit has an advert there, touting a rebuilt 450Sl engine at $4995US plus exchange... Probably be a good bit higher since your block is toast (prob not much core value).

Check it out... http://www.oursl.com and click on SL parts for sale link...

Oh, and many thanks, Ron!

#5 ·
Randall821 - 2/10/2006 2:46 PM

My son trashed the engine (hole in block) of my favorite car! So I'm looking for a replacement drop-in engine that will fit. My tranny is new (under 10k miles), so I would want it to match up.

What years and engine sizes should I be looking for?

If it helps, here's the number from the car: 107 044 12 033676. I looked for an engine number, but can't find one.

Thanks
Actually, any 450SL engine with the K-jet system (1976-1980) will fit. Earlier D-Jet ones will fit too, but not as well.

#6 ·
Its alot easier to find a 76-80 450SE/SEL, swap the manifolds and oil pan, and put the motor in. I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a brand new engine unless the body itself was cherry. But thats only me.

What did your son do to put a hole through one of the toughest known MB engines? Overevving?

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.