Vehicle: 80 450SL 89 260E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is this $110 hardtop hoist any good?

These are available on eBay off and on. Currently it's item 7974226048
<p>
There's no information on it. Is the cable steel? Rope? Clothesline? Does it mar the rain gutter? Does it take a 3-arm paperhanger to position the straps? Any recommendations appreciated.

450SL - Like driving Cary Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2005
RE: Is this $110 hardtop hoist any good?

Several years ago I went to a shop and looked at their hosts for my 88 560sl. Cost was about $400. It was made up of a Thule (brand of roof rack) single roof rack and block and tackle that you attached to the celling. I went out and bought the eaxact Thule Rack (They come in pars) for a little over $100. Went to a local sail shop that sold used stuff for sail boats and asked them to make me up a block and tackle. When I told him what I wanted it for he told me he gets requests for this all of the time and within 10 minutes he had it rigged. I think the cost was under $20.

I attached to the celling of my garague and without any problems I can remove and install my hard top without help. I also have a full roof rack set that I can use of other things such as halling lumber.

I would suggest you look at the Thule site or go to a roof rack dealer in you area that sells Thule and ask them for the rack that fits that car. It attached over the gutters and never leaves a mark. Then go to a boat or sail boat supply house and get a block and tackle. Don't bother with e-bay or any comercial setup.

Hope this helps

Bud
#3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Rey
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Appreciate the info.
<p>
No maritime shops of any kind here in central Virginia, though I could make up something at the hardware store. I already have a suitable rope hoist left over from the days we had a farm. Bulky and ugly, but suitable. It's the attachment to the top that concerns me.
<p>
Elsewhere ( http://www.capitolwest.com/mercedes_hardtop_management.htm ) I learned of the Fritzi Hooker Hardtop Hoist, an all-steel hoist with a custom sling that does not attach to the rain gutter. It can be bought complete for $150, or just the Fritzi Hooker harness sling alone for $70.
<p>
Likely I'll get one or the other. Cheap price not to have to re-invent it. A reliable hoist saves the price of a storage cart, and the headache of finding somewhere to put that.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 2001 S430

I just bought a hoist from Adsit and it is nice. The price was just $180.00. Sturdy construction - heavy duty locking hoist with steel cable. Has 4 straps that connect directly to the hard top. Very impressed. Took about an hour to install. Here is their url:

http://www.adsitco.com/

If you can't find the item on-line you just have to call them. I ordered mine on-line and had it in three days via UPS.

2001 S430
1987 560SL
#5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Rey
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks. I've been looking at that one. If you get a chance, please describe how the harness attaches to the top. I have a newbie's concern with marring the rain gutter, etc. So many M-B hardtops on the used market are described as having "bends" around the side windows. There must be some top hoists out there causing this, though Adsit would be among the last to sell a bad one.
<p>
I heard from the seller of the one on eBay that began this thread. He says, "We have been selling this hoist for years and our hoist is one of the most attractive around.
<p>
"The cross bar is made of steel and the cable is made of rope. This is a very high quality hoist that will not scratch your top and is very easy to use.
<p>
"If you provide us with a fax number we can fax you the instructions."
<p>
I'm going to.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 2001 S430

The hoist that I have is attached to the hard top via four heavy duty nylon straps. The hooks on the end are made of metal covered in something that looks like lambs wool. So far I have not noticed any scratches or bending.

2001 S430
1987 560SL
#7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Rey
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Chuck sold me his Fritzi Hooker hoist (thanks!) and I installed it yesterday. Piece of cake. Off came the hardtop (no problems) and I'm back to an open roadster after 37 years.

Spent two hours tooling around the stix this morning re-discovering why it's called joy riding. Even went by to give a girl a ride, but it wasn't like old times. She was 31. And my daughter.

Anyone know a better place to put the central locking vacuum supply tank than under the right fender?

These just arrived today. You never know what plate is available until you ask the DMV.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23_1495806_528200525240PM.jpg (31.2 KB, 601 views)

#8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 03:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1977 450SL

I have that hard top hoist, it works pretty good.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1977 450SL

I have that hard top hoist, it works pretty good. It uses rope. Doesn't scratch or mar the rain gutter, has rubber ends. Don't know what you mean by "Does it take a 3-arm paperhanger to position the straps?"
#10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes 560SL

Quote:
Rey - 5/16/2005 1:17 PM

Appreciate the info.
<p>
No maritime shops of any kind here in central Virginia, though I could make up something at the hardware store. I already have a suitable rope hoist left over from the days we had a farm. Bulky and ugly, but suitable. It's the attachment to the top that concerns me.
<p>
Elsewhere ( http://www.capitolwest.com/mercedes_hardtop_management.htm ) I learned of the Fritzi Hooker Hardtop Hoist, an all-steel hoist with a custom sling that does not attach to the rain gutter. It can be bought complete for $150, or just the Fritzi Hooker harness sling alone for $70.
<p>
Likely I'll get one or the other. Cheap price not to have to re-invent it. A reliable hoist saves the price of a storage cart, and the headache of finding somewhere to put that.
Been using the Fritzi Hooker for over ten years. Not one problem and can easily remove and attach the hardtop with one person operating the hoist. When I first attached the hoist in my garage, just for piece of mind, I had a large friend, over 250lbs. hang from the straps to test the strength. Once I saw it had no problems with my friend, I mostly have the hardtop floating over the car during the summer months. Great way of storing your hardtop without losing precious garage floor space. Also, I like the four point attachment design that doesn't require the use of the rain gutters. My mechanic has seen his customers use the rain gutter attachment hoists lose their grip and down goes an expensive hardtop replacement/repair.

Slbenz

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class