Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Steering box rebuild experience?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jamesvyu 
#1 ·
Hi,

I would like to reduce the amount of steering play in my 86 560SL (133K). I'd estimate it to be about 1 inch, and I realize that it's probably within the tolerance range of the manufacturing specs, but it's still making me feel somewhat insecure on the highway.

Knowing that I'm thinking about rebuilding the steering box, my mechanic is advising me that it may not have a lasting effect. He's suggesting that the car is so heavy for its little steering box that the same amount of steering play will quickly return. And I understand that it's never going to feel as tight as a rack-and-pinion system.

I'd really appreciate hearing from any 560 owner who has put in a rebuilt steering box. How much improvement in steering responsiveness did you get, and how long did it last?

Thanks--j.

#2 ·
Not sure about the 560, but earlier 107's have adjustable steering boxes. Try that first. If all the adjustment is gone, then rebuild. I have been sucessful adjusting a 380 with sloppy steering to so tight I had to have the mechanic loosen it a bit. Sounds like your mechanic is not familiar with the topic, but willing to get in your pocket.

#3 ·
Hi
I think that you will find that there is an adjustment capability on this model. It is hard to get at as the steering box is located below a crowded area in the engine compartment and it will liklely require a couple of special tools; one to loosen the lock nut (a 19mm crowfoot will do the job) and one to turn the 6mm allen screw (counter clockwise to tighten -use quarter turn increments to avoid over tightning). You will need to have slim drivers with flex heads as access will likely be between the engine head and the exhaust manifold.

#5 ·
I have a 1984 380SL with 84,000 miles. I too thought about adjusting the steering box but after reading everything I could get my hands on, decided to do the following.

replace sway bar bushings
replace idler bushings
replace engine mounts
replace front subframe mount bushings

Almost all the play in the steering box has disappeared. Unbelievable improvement.

Going to tackle the steering coupling next. Most of the advice around is leave the steering box adjustment as the last resort. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.