LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#811 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: '99 ML430, '12 Silverado
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
If gun ownership truly deters crime, why don't we require that every adult citizen own a gun? And require safety and proper operational training prior to issuance of said gun? Screw these fully automatic weapons and high-capacity magazines, issue everyone a S&W Model 19. Wouldn't that keep the criminals on the straight and narrow, knowing that every household had at least one gun on the premises?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#812 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Very Interesting

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: R170+C219
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Nothing "deters" these sorts of crimes per se; they are, by definition, acts that are only committed by people with screws loose (not talking about petty B.S. but serious offenses like robbery, rape, murder, etc). They will not be deterred because they don't have the same value system (or any at all). The gun is not invalidated because they are ineffective at deterring crime, they are validated precisely because crime cannot be deterred.

You wouldn't drive an unsafe car because of the risk to others, but because of the risk to yourself. The instinct of self-preservation and the simple ability to observe the world around us is all the reason anyone needs to own a firearm.
#813 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Dark highways and the country roads don't scare u like they did
Location: But all u did was figure out how to take the long way home.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^bad person
#814 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubes View Post
Nothing "deters" these sorts of crimes per se; they are, by definition, acts that are only committed by people with screws loose (not talking about petty B.S. but serious offenses like robbery, rape, murder, etc). They will not be deterred because they don't have the same value system (or any at all). The gun is not invalidated because they are ineffective at deterring crime, they are validated precisely because crime cannot be deterred.

You wouldn't drive an unsafe car because of the risk to others, but because of the risk to yourself. The instinct of self-preservation and the simple ability to observe the world around us is all the reason anyone needs to own a firearm.
Waste of time using a rational argument.

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. ... Americans deserve better.”
~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006
#815 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: '99 ML430, '12 Silverado
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubes View Post

I agree 100%. I advocate requiring every of-age citizen to own a gun and be fully trained and licensed for its use. Let's go a step further and require that the guns be carried at all times. It would be inconvenient for skinny-dipping and al fresco nooners, but I'd probably get used to it.
#816 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPPH View Post
I agree 100%. I advocate requiring every of-age citizen to own a gun and be fully trained and licensed for its use. Let's go a step further and require that the guns be carried at all times. It would be inconvenient for skinny-dipping and al fresco nooners, but I'd probably get used to it.
Bring back the draft but change our military structure where it's a militia Swiss style. I would support that 100%
#817 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Freedom-hating, big-government militarist.

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. ... Americans deserve better.”
#818 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPPH View Post
Didn't this country go through this period about 150 years ago? Period when the only law West of the Pecos river was "Judge" Roy Bean?
#819 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Moditt!

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Why don't we apply the same everybody in "mutual destruction" philosophy to nuclear weapons? Nuclear weapons are just inert objects, completely incapable of doing any harm without a willing human finger behind the trigger. Wouldn't that deter international crime?
#820 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Nukes seemed to have prevented global thermonuclear war for about 40 yrs or so. Late forties to late 1980's. Is there another system of governmental activity that has an unmodified shelf life approaching that success? Maybe mattress tags?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic