LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should newsies get special treatment from other newsies?

First, I'm glad they are free. But would the news media have afforded the same news blanket for others? I don't think so.

B

Media Stayed Silent on Kidnapping
News Organizations Agreed to Protect Reporter's Safety
By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 21, 2009

There were times during the kidnapping ordeal of New York Times reporter David Rohde when his boss wavered in his determination to suppress the story.

"We agonized over it at the outset and, periodically, over the last seven months," Executive Editor Bill Keller said yesterday. "Of all the subjects we discussed with the family, that was the one we discussed more intensively than any other: Should we change strategy and go public?"

Keller decided against it, and he was aided by silence from at least 40 major news organizations -- including, after a personal appeal, al-Jazeera -- that continued until yesterday, when the Times confirmed that Rohde and an assistant had escaped their Taliban captors in Pakistan. Keller consulted not only government experts but also other news organizations that had been through similar experiences, and there was "a pretty firm consensus," he said, "that you really amp up the danger when you go public. . . . It makes us cringe to sit on a news story," but in a life-or-death situation, "the freedom to publish includes the freedom not to publish."

Still, the unusual arrangement raises questions about whether journalists were giving special treatment to one of their own. "It certainly could appear that way, but it's more complicated than that when a human life is at stake," said Phil Bronstein, former editor of the San Francisco Chronicle. "It does involve a news organization keeping quiet and asking others to keep quiet. What shocks me is that it was so successful."

more at: washingtonpost.com

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
"the freedom to publish includes the freedom not to publish."

That sums it up well – the NYT elected not to publish, another medium may have decided otherwise, I don’t think one can generalize with all media, however.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244 View Post
That sums it up well – the NYT elected not to publish, another medium may have decided otherwise, I don’t think one can generalize with all media, however.
According to the article, they pressured dozens of other news corporations not to publish or to take down published stories.

Maybe that's not what you meant by "generalize."

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
What the fuck else would you expect?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe that's not what you meant by "generalize."
I was responding to your intro:

Quote:
First, I'm glad they are free. But would the news media have afforded the same news blanket for others? I don't think so.
I inferred you believe that if it came to a non journalist a majority of media would otherwise report.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244 View Post
I was responding to your intro:

I inferred you believe that if it came to a non journalist a majority of media would otherwise report.
Ah, my mistake.

On reflection, I think the news media's response doesn't fit any particular pattern. In some cases they sensationalize hostage taking or kidnapping and in most cases they don't pay attention and in some cases they intentionally suppress news.

It's that last category that intrigues me. What other news do they suppress for some noble reason or other?

B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in