BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dope View Post
I enjoy hunting for them with my .22 and make a great gumbo.

Here's something about how serious some folks take squirrel hunting -- my general area. If Town Clears Out, It Must Be Squirrel Season - New York Times

Friday before squirrel season is an important day.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We feed the birds [cardinals, yellow finches, house sparrows, Carolina wrens, etc] which provides secondary food for the gray squirrels. We grow our own sunflowers and some of the other food. It helps/hurts that father in law is the head of the birder group in the state so we get food by the 50# bag.

We also have a variety of woodpeckers, hummingbirds and a couple of types of hawk [cooper, sharp shin, redtail], falcons and other migratories.

We also have rabbits, possums, raccoons. YES, we live in the suburbs but the area was a horse farm just 35 years ago and the animals don't know or care about the changes.

At the new house, which is next to a small lake we also have herons and other water fowl. Oh, and we have a friggin duck in the swimming pool. At some point, if he doesn't get the message, I will be having duck a l'orange.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I feed leftover fried chicken to the local birds that congregate around me during lunch. However, the Myna birds prefer bacon and Portuguese sausage during breakfast. Doing my part for the evolution of avian and swine flu

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz 4 Benz View Post
I feed leftover fried chicken to the local birds that congregate around me during lunch. However, the Myna birds prefer bacon and Portuguese sausage during breakfast. Doing my part for the evolution of avian and swine flu
When pigs fly.

Uh-oh.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Wasn't there a thread with oblique views of food for the titmice on the board?

Jim
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Do housepets qualify as wild?
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Only your neighbors.

Does putting my trash at the curb once per week qualify?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I have a nice variety of creatures living on my property (2 acres). Squirrels, gopher turtles, black racers, armadillos, raccoons, tree frogs, lizards, rabbits, and of course all kinds of birds. Tree frogs have turned my plastic garden tool shed into an apartment. At least five of them permanently reside inside, hiding in wall niches, sleeping during the day and hunting for insects at night. They get in and out with the shed doors closed by squeezing through a narrow gap between the door and the shed roof.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
I have a nice variety of creatures living on my property (2 acres). Squirrels, gopher turtles, black racers, armadillos, raccoons, tree frogs, lizards, rabbits, and of course all kinds of birds. Tree frogs have turned my plastic garden tool shed into an apartment. At least five of them permanently reside inside, hiding in wall niches, sleeping during the day and hunting for insects at night. They get in and out with the shed doors closed by squeezing through a narrow gap between the door and the shed roof.
If you have gopher tortoises, you have a really interesting bit of viable Gulf coastal ecosystem. I'm guessing somewhere between Milton & Tallahassee. Do you hear lots of military aircraft? The downside is that you and your critters live in a naturally pyrogenic plant community. I once lived in a similar ecosystem -- longleaf pine-wiregrass savanna. I burned-off my yard every 2-3 years. I didn't have the gopher tortoises but I had the phenomenal array of flowering plants found in the ecosystem. Terrestrial orchids, meadow beauties, sundews, etc. I envy you.

B

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Nice positive thread, makes me want to visit everyone and see their yards I can promise that you will see Bald Eagles from my back yard. I only wish I knew the names of all the other birds to satisfy all the true bird watchers out there. Two links that will interest birders.

Where do you want to go birding in British Columbia today?

Eagles, Brackendale Eagles Park - Squamish BC - BrackendaleEagles.ca

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in