More "Throw crap on the wall and see what sticks." - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2004 E500 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't believe that spending money you don't have is the best way to deal with an economic crisis. If someone loaded up their credit cards and lost their job would you loan them $100k? Especially if they promise their grandchildren will pay you back...?

Hell, the Chinese are getting nervous, Putin is telling Obama to slow down and Chavez tells Castro that they are to the right of Obama - that should tell you something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talven View Post
I don't believe that spending money you don't have is the best way to deal with an economic crisis. If someone loaded up their credit cards and lost their job would you loan them $100k? Especially if they promise their grandchildren will pay you back...?
It isn't the best way to deal with an economic crisis. But, in this particular economic crisis, in this particular time, with this particular set of variables, we really don't have a lot of choices. The things that a government would "normally" do, can't be done in this one.

Quote:
Hell, the Chinese are getting nervous, Putin is telling Obama to slow down and Chavez tells Castro that they are to the right of Obama - that should tell you something.
Chavez doesn't count, Putin is posturing for a new world currency and China is the only one with real skin in the game...interestingly, they also contributed to our problems and have the most to lose. Where they want us to slow down is in "buy American" and reframe debt to box them out of the equation.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:

No, it never was. It was a fine way to get into one, however.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Not all. But good diversion.

I give you a lot of crap here for your economics posts. I do so because you don't come with an A Game for the discussion, oft time, not even with a game [the post I commented on was an example]. It is not all your fault. You just don't have the experience to discuss it that many on this board do. If you just look at four of us: jimsmith, who has 30 plus years as a systems manager on national level projects, drewprof who has 20 plus years in international business consulting experience, FTL, with 20 plus years in energy economic analysis and me with 33 years of systems analysis and 25 plus years of economics, we might not have all the answers, but we have a shitload of experience from which to draw informed opinion and understand what information is valid and what information is just a pile of words.

You might not like the answers that we give, but they come from experience, and are based on sound economic theory, history and 30+ years of knowledge in the fields. Those links we provide, and have for over five years are gleaned from going through what we cull from the flood of information on the subjects.

You just don't have that simply because you haven't had the opportunities to glean it yet. You might by the time you hit 45-50 if you do the right stuff and take the right classes and get the right education and get the right contracts. Skimming the internet for Economics 201 won't cut it.

You are young and have a ton of opportunities before you. This is a serious, honest recommendation. Find yourself a job in England, France, Germany or Japan and move your family there for a couple of years and apply and go to their premiere University and study Global Economics. While a Masters would be good, do it for the learning and classes, not the degree goal. I did this in the mid 1990s for 18 months. I got a gig in Milton Keynes and took additional Global Economics classes from London School of Economics. I already had a Masters and was just looking for additional classes.

I suggest an international school so you can insure that you avoid the perception in many of the US schools that they might be biased toward either US Liberal or US Conservative Economic thought. Not all are but to avoid the perception, a global perspective is much better for your education.
TnT: well you just got your hands slapped because you are not one of the faculty on BWOT. What should you glean from that? Best example I've seen of intellectual arrogance supported by political bias on BWOT in awhile. Notice that no one is defending Owebama's plans or results; we are supposed to take these horsemen of the apacalypse at face value. Well, here's another side of their credentials: Drewpuff spells money, "s-e-x", seeks advice about how to spend the summer and expects the government to insure his health. Jimsmith can write four paragraphs without citing any facts to support his opinions. FTL, well you've seen his filthy mouthed rants. And McBare has the poorest understanding of how we managed to leave the last big recession behind us and a very limited comprehension of taxation and accounting.

Don't pay any attention to McBare's belittling comments (that was several paragraphs of it). That's typical lib talk; just give back to them.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2004 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by talven
I don't believe that spending money you don't have is the best way to deal with an economic crisis.

That's certainly no justification for ramping the spending up.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ch6-4horsemen_pastorpack_small.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	243167  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'd start some popcorn if I thought the red corner would stick around for a real discussion....
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
TnT: well you just got your hands slapped because you are not one of the faculty on BWOT. What should you glean from that? Best example I've seen of intellectual arrogance supported by political bias on BWOT in awhile. Notice that no one is defending Owebama's plans or results; we are supposed to take these horsemen of the apacalypse at face value. Well, here's another side of their credentials: Drewpuff spells money, "s-e-x", seeks advice about how to spend the summer and expects the government to insure his health. Jimsmith can write four paragraphs without citing any facts to support his opinions. FTL, well you've seen his filthy mouthed rants. And McBare has the poorest understanding of how we managed to leave the last big recession behind us and a very limited comprehension of taxation and accounting.

Don't pay any attention to McBare's belittling comments (that was several paragraphs of it). That's typical lib talk; just give back to them.
As usual, you missed the point. What else is new.

Oh, and I am not an accountant. Never claimed to be.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
I'd start some popcorn if I thought the red corner would stick around for a real discussion....
OK Dave, I've got the beer. Uh, what was this post about anyway?
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talven
I don't believe that spending money you don't have is the best way to deal with an economic crisis.

That's certainly no justification for ramping the spending up.
There was no justification for flushing the economy down the toilet in the first place, there was no justification for the Bush bailout, and there is no justification for the Obama bailout. Those who failed should suffer the consequence of that failure. Those who had stuffed their mattresses with money, should reap the rewards of that decision.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in