Why I am a Christian (Chapter One) - Page 17 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ My point. Greg seems to have them filed there by virtue of his narrow definition of god.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
German,
got the point, but I define God narrowly as well. There are others that think god is in everything. They worship everything. That is not an atheistic mindset of nothing out there in charge. I know who I worship. So call it narrow minded if you will, but it is definitely not western. In fact the influx of christianity in China with nothing else to go from but the "Book" and little influence from the "west", and being that the "books" origin is from the "mid east" sorta blows a hole in your western mindset theory.
They are forming their own opinions and strangely they are the same as ours. Differing practices however.
Spirit guidance?

Aardvark
post #163 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
17 pages into this thread, and I cannot believe that nobody has touched on the most simple and honest reason that most Christians are Christians, must Muslims are Muslims, most Jews are Jews, most Hindus are Hindus, and most members of any religion are that religion.

It is because your parents were <insert religion here>.

It is as simple as that. You learn what you were taught at home from the earliest age. The vast majority of people have about as much choice about what religion they are as they do about what language they speak.
post #164 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can't speak for others , but I had all of the say in my house growing up. My home had no christians in it. At age 13 I picked up on the concept from a friend, and it took of from there in reverse. Now there is not a single member of my family (except some youngins) who are NOT christians.
So it can work from bottom up as well.

aardvark
post #165 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210 View Post
Really? That's the best you can do? I'm impressed (and grateful) that you did more than simply spew obscenities at me, but if you want to trade insults I'm certainly capable of that. But it wouldn't be the Christian thing to do.

Moreover, you're not following classic debate and argument, but rather heading down a tangent with a little ad hominem thrown in for good measure. That's okay, and I'll digress there with you for a bit, but you're not fooling anyone by trying to turn this into a "I, Qubes, am smarter than you" track simply by posting a snide insult with your sidetrack. (Well, you might be fooling some, but you're not fooling me.)

So, to briefly join your digression: Have you noticed that it is called the THEORY of evolution? It is a decent theory, and parts of it have been well-documented, but overall it has yet to be PROVEN. However, that doesn't alter the reality that all of the theory (including macro evolution) is taught in public schools is as FACT, not THEORY. The holes in the THEORY are not discussed or even mentioned, much less taught; and in fact if a teacher attempts to question the THEORY or to teach about any of the places the theory is weak or empty, they'll typically find themselves in hot water, even at the higher educational levels.

Again, your absolute rejection of anyone or anything to do with theism reveals your own blindness and ignorance, because it's not an all-or-nothing proposition as GS noted in his rebuttal. Or perhaps you were shooting for hyperbole?

Contrary to what you apparently believe, I don't want our public schools to teach creationism (or flat-earth perspectives). What would be nice to see is them teaching evolution as what it is, a THEORY, not as scientific fact. It would be nice if teachers were free to instruct children about all of the aspects of evolution, including the places scientists are unable to explain it, as well as the cutting edge science that is striving to plug some of those holes (like the large Hadron collider) instead of just glossing over things and teaching them as fact.

At some level that's just as misguided as telling an adolescent "that mommy and daddy love one another and then a baby grows in mommy's tummy" -- because there are actual FACTS that could be taught. Of course in the evolution context in public education, positive facts are taught and reinforced, and negative facts are ignored.
I have a son in elementary school. I would like to see you substantiate your claims regarding how evolution is taught as scientific fact.

If you're too ignorant or unfortunate to make it to college, where these topics are given more than the glancing blow they receive in public schools, then you may be under-served as it relates to the finer points of evolution. If it's important to your faith, it seems to me that one would attempt to get as educated as possible on the subject, since it's diametrically opposed and wholly incompatible with the book of Genesis.

All that said, to me, the real undercurrent of ignorance seems to be that there are a lot of people - yourself included, apparently - that take the written word as the absolute truth and final authority on all matters it contains. For example, I'm in the middle of reading a book called "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong that, so far, implies that nothing could be further from the truth. I'll summarize it when I've finished reading it.
post #166 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
17 pages into this thread, and I cannot believe that nobody has touched on the most simple and honest reason that most Christians are Christians, must Muslims are Muslims, most Jews are Jews, most Hindus are Hindus, and most members of any religion are that religion.

It is because your parents were <insert religion here>.

It is as simple as that. You learn what you were taught at home from the earliest age. The vast majority of people have about as much choice about what religion they are as they do about what language they speak.
Again, this is why the brainwashing comment had me laughing out loud.
post #167 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
German,
got the point, but I define God narrowly as well. There are others that think god is in everything. They worship everything. That is not an atheistic mindset of nothing out there in charge. I know who I worship. So call it narrow minded if you will, but it is definitely not western. In fact the influx of christianity in China with nothing else to go from but the "Book" and little influence from the "west", and being that the "books" origin is from the "mid east" sorta blows a hole in your western mindset theory.
They are forming their own opinions and strangely they are the same as ours. Differing practices however.
Spirit guidance?

Aardvark
I hope you're not citing whatever goes on in China as some sort of proof that you're right and the rest of us are somehow mistaken.

Some people will follow anything, and switch courses on a dime. We call them morons, and the world seems to be full of them.
post #168 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
German,
Spirit guidance?

Aardvark
Erm, Islam, Christianity, and Judaism along with myriad offshoots, are collectively referred to as Western religion, aka Abrahamic religion. No hole, no theory. Nomenclature. You really need to start understanding and speaking the language of reason, rather than that of faith. I'm sorry, but many of us do not speak faith.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #169 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
German,
Spirit guidance?

Aardvark
That actually addresses consequence rather than cause. The underpinning notion is that the concepts of 'universe' and 'god' are indistinguishable.

post #170 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
^"The consistent theological noncognitivist awaits a coherent definition of the word God before being able to engage in arguments for or against God's existence."

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in