BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
No way Joseph!
I did clearly state advocacy, not siding; what part of that you missed? I was simply curious why you played this role on this issue yet you hardly (or maybe I didn't pay attention) do that with other issues that could pin you down like a say a "Jew hater" such as myself?
I don't know the difference between advocating and siding.

I neither advocate nor side. I am exploring. It looks to me like there are plenty of folks on this site who agree that abortion should remain a legal right. Not much to be gained by exploring that which I already believe.

Concerning the Palestinian issue, it looks like there are plenty of strong supporters of a free and independent Palestine. What's there to be elarned by "siding" with the majority? It simply reinforces the prevailing paradigm. That is a recipe for stagnation of thought. No thanks.

Etc.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
Your last comment strikes me strangely...are you saying that our court systems are against Jesus' teachings? Please explain your thoughts...
Ok, I realize I'm stepping out on a limb here but I'll try to explain my thoughts. I think that "Judgment" means putting to death - at least in the parable of the adulteress who was about to be stoned to death by the crowd. So putting people in jail for crimes is perfectly ok but killing them isn't. By that standard the death penalty is against Jesus' teachings.
post #143 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
What gets me is that those of us who are only observing this act from afar - meaning we had no involvement - it should be relatively straight forward to look at the facts, consider whatever teachings of Christ you wish to as a Christian, or not as a "not a Christian" and come to an intellectually unencumbered conclusion that killing the doctor was neither legal, justified by any specific teaching of Christ, or reasonable. None of "us" it would seem should have difficulty with this, unless we are encumbered by an emotionally distressing set of circumstances in which killing another human in cold blood is seemingly reasonable and rational. I find the same peculiar outlook I cannot quite get a grasp of with the issue of torture - a Christian should be able to find adequate teachings by Christ without much effort to lead to the inescapable conclusion that Christ would not ever condone it. Yet, there seems, among especially those who most loudly profess their public love of Christ, an ability to just decide Christ was wrong on this account, this time as he didn't envision for some reason, the greatness and righteousness of the United States in this battle with the essence of evil, radical Islam. Very strange.

Or so it seems.

Jim
Nobody ever flew an airplane into Christ's house.
post #144 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Send a message via AIM to jplinville
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
That sort of mentality got left behind with the vengeful God Jaweh. The Christian version of God is much nicer. Haven't you heard the Good News?

If you still follow the tenets of the Old Testament (and yes, I'm aware that the Ten Commandments are part of that, but they've been accepted as part of the Christian cannon), I'm assuming that you follow all Kosher eating requirements, yes? And cover your head? And provide the correct burnt offerings at the correct times?

If you just want to pick and choose to suit your agenda, then it isn't really Christianity, is it?
Your idea of Christianity and mine don't match...don't try to match them. There are enough issues with all organized religions today, that I study and follow the Bible, not a prescribed belief and value system.

I was raised Southern Baptist, but I like to drink the occasional alcoholic beverage. I don't believe that I have to have my head anointed with oil, so I'm not a Methodist. i don't pray to saints, so Catholicism doesn't work for me either. I refuse to even think about cults such as LDS.

So, I just follow the teachings in the Bible to the best of my ability. I talk to God/Jesus everyday as if he's sitting next to me. We're best of friends.

I'm not a real dickhead...but I acted like one in high school.
post #145 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
Ok, I realize I'm stepping out on a limb here but I'll try to explain my thoughts. I think that "Judgment" means putting to death - at least in the parable of the adulteress who was about to be stoned to death by the crowd. So putting people in jail for crimes is perfectly ok but killing them isn't. By that standard the death penalty is against Jesus' teachings.
I understand, and somewhat agree with you here...but not completely. There is much for you to learn within the Old Testament. I hope you take the time to truly study it.

post #146 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
If you can't see late term abortion as murder, then I'm allowed to view this horrid crime as nothing more than a VERY late term abortion.

A better term for you to use would be retroactive abortion.

And as stated earlier, nothing the doctor did was against the law.

Anti abortion zealots who kill or engage in acts of violence are terrorists by the letter of the law. You wish to deem them above the law. Ipso facto, those not condemning them are supporting them. You sir, are a terrorist sympathizer and should be jailed. Or just shot, by extension of your own reckoning.
post #147 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
A better term for you to use would be retroactive abortion.

And as stated earlier, nothing the doctor did was against the law.

Anti abortion zealots who kill or engage in acts of violence are terrorists by the letter of the law. You wish to deem them above the law. Ipso facto, those not condemning them are supporting them. You sir, are a terrorist sympathizer and should be jailed. Or just shot, by extension of your own reckoning.
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks...I needed the laugh

post #148 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Nobody ever flew an airplane into Christ's house.
Watch out! You are sounding like you believe the Twin Tower and Pentagon victims of 9-11 deserved their fate since they were in a place where Christ had vacated! Next thing you know you will be discovered to be a mullah certain Christians and then you will be a justifiable target for their justice.....http://www.benzworld.org/forums/imag...es/biggrin.gif

Jim
post #149 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Roe v. Wade isn't a "law", first of all - the judicial doesn't legislate.

Second, I'm not sure if that ruling can withstand a meaningful challenge by non-RWNJ's. If it were up to me, the court system would need to weigh in on the (frankly, appalling) inconsistencies in laws across the nation that seem to lay out when it is and is not acceptable to kill an unborn child.

I've made the argument before that drawing a line in the sand with respect to how many weeks of gestation = viability is a fruitless exercise. As medical science improves, that point will keep moving backwards.

One has to assume that with a remarkably low infant mortality rate, and with a less than 25% miscarriage rate (75% of which are first-trimester), betting against childbirth in America is a futile endeavor. Nature will make the ultimate decision regarding whether or not a child is carried to term based on things it knows that we cannot. A fetus should be considered alive and viable with one exception, and that is if nature weighs in and results in a natural miscarriage. When you take our meddling out of the mix, the odds are statistically, overwhelmingly in favor of the fetus.

This isn't a religious argument, or a moral argument (other than that in this light, killing a fetus is the same as killing any other human). If a woman can "choose" to kill her offspring just because it hasn't left her womb yet, but not once it leaves, something is amiss. She either needs to be able to kill her children any time she wants, or we need to get rid of this antiquated and obtuse notion that a child is like any other organ in her body with which she's free to butcher at will.
Well written.

The lefties rail against all kinds of "sin" such as cigarette smoking and the effects of pollution on the unborn child but yet ignore the contradictions in their total rejection of the notion that abortion kills.

... and this important discussion continues.

Dooloogssst!
post #150 of 251 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Looks okay to me.

You do realize that I am not offering a justification? I am offering an explanation. I believe that is likely how many people think.

It seems to me that we are awfully dismissive of fellow citizens who believe very strongly that abortion is mass murder. We would do well to understand them rather than simply dismiss them.
What you write is fine, however, reality is lost on many who live by PC rhetoric...........Keep writing. Much of my learning over many years has come from very similar viewpoints that you espouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in