Frankly, Barney, you shouldn't have - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
How about starting another thread?

Yep you are right, my bad, it seems I have been the first to hijack a thread in the last 12 hours. Besides fellas, we all know the RWNJ's cannot multi-task their thoughts on different subjects in 1 thread especially if it involves the High Master Bush......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Few here actually experienced Katrina, thought you could at least tell us your thoughts, never mind if you don't want to say anything bad about Bush that could come back to haunt you.....
He did better than average, if average the is computed between himself, Nagin, and Blanco. Nagin is a fool and Blanco was poorly advised and ill-prepared. Bush was outgunned by a storm greater than the prepared response and reaped the reward of appointing a political hack to a crucial agency.

The previous natural disaster of this magnitude was in 1927. Coincidentally, that response was lead by Herbert Hoover, another Republican appointee. Only in his case at least he was a scholar, author, engineer and had a history of organizational skills. The results could not have been more different.

Since the late 1990's or early 2000's I have participated in an annual exercise entitled "Hurricane Pam". My role is teenie, so I wont speak to my experiences with that as it has no bearing. A couple of weeks ago we had a drill unrelated to "Pam" and tomorrow I will go to another meeting looking at storm impacts & response. History indicates that this state and all other Gulf States, have conducted numerous workshops, symposia, colloquia, annual preparedness paper drills (like "Pam", etc., for probably 20 or 30 years. In every instance of which I am aware, every meeting has called for #1 Better communication among the levels of government. Florida is the only state that has successfully and fully integrated. Texas is close. The rest are still sending-up recommendations to governors and Congress and President that get routinely ignored until a storm hits. Then they all blame each other.

I understand that FEMA thinks more highly of itself than it has in years. Folks in Arkansas who dealt with FEMA in their floods last year inform me that FEMA still has it's head squarely up it's ass.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Aug. 25, 6:30pm Katrina hits Florida (Cat 1).
Aug. 28, 12:30pm Bush was warned "...whether the levees will be topped or not, that's obviously a very, very grave concern." Asked no questions.
Aug. 28 Mayor Nagin tells CNN "as soon as the levee systems are breached, there will be a tremendous amount of water, anywhere from 15 to 20 feet of water in some parts of New Orleans." Orders mandatory evacuation.
Aug. 29, 6:10am Hurricane Katrina reaches New Orleans.
Aug. 29, 8am Levees Overtopped.
Aug. 29, 9:12am National weather service gets report of levee breach.
Aug. 29, 11am After McCain birthday, Bush talks at El Mirage RV park, AZ.
Aug. 29, 12pm Bush misses video briefing on Katrina.
Aug. 29, 4:40 Bush appears at Rancho Cucamonga, California.
Aug. 30 Bush continues speaking tour in California.
Sept. 1, 7am Bush: "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees."

Date Hurricane Katrina Hit
Funny, you forgot to mention that on Saturday before Kastrina's landfall, Bush asked Gov Blanco to declare a national disaster so the feds could take over. She declined. It takes a minimum of 3 days to mobilize federal forces.

Nagin ordered an evacuation, which was the correct thing to do, but didn't mobilize any resources for evacuation. Nor did Gov Blanco. Blanco pre-possitioned NG troops in the Barracks in NOLA. They were flooded-out by the storm and had to be rescued. She did not mobilize the remainder of the state NG until 1 day before the storm, and it takes about 2 days to mobilize NG. The first week after the storm Mr Nagin was in Dallas buying a house.

No, it is NOT their fault. It is the storm's fault. Their advisors were inept and their own leadership was poor. Bush was no better in that regard, though he did have an excellent federal army which, when finally mobilized, organized the shit out of everything.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:59 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
He did better than average, if average the is computed between himself, Nagin, and Blanco. Nagin is a fool and Blanco was poorly advised and ill-prepared. Bush was outgunned by a storm greater than the prepared response and reaped the reward of appointing a political hack to a crucial agency.

The previous natural disaster of this magnitude was in 1927. Coincidentally, that response was lead by Herbert Hoover, another Republican appointee. Only in his case at least he was a scholar, author, engineer and had a history of organizational skills. The results could not have been more different.

Since the late 1990's or early 2000's I have participated in an annual exercise entitled "Hurricane Pam". My role is teenie, so I wont speak to my experiences with that as it has no bearing. A couple of weeks ago we had a drill unrelated to "Pam" and tomorrow I will go to another meeting looking at storm impacts & response. History indicates that this state and all other Gulf States, have conducted numerous workshops, symposia, colloquia, annual preparedness paper drills (like "Pam", etc., for probably 20 or 30 years. In every instance of which I am aware, every meeting has called for #1 Better communication among the levels of government. Florida is the only state that has successfully and fully integrated. Texas is close. The rest are still sending-up recommendations to governors and Congress and President that get routinely ignored until a storm hits. Then they all blame each other.

I understand that FEMA thinks more highly of itself than it has in years. Folks in Arkansas who dealt with FEMA in their floods last year inform me that FEMA still has it's head squarely up it's ass.

B
Thanks Bot but does not make anyone feel better than basically the response teams are still prepared just as much now as they were before, just a square peg in a round hole......
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Funny, you forgot to mention that on Saturday before Kastrina's landfall, Bush asked Gov Blanco to declare a national disaster so the feds could take over. She declined. It takes a minimum of 3 days to mobilize federal forces.

Nagin ordered an evacuation, which was the correct thing to do, but didn't mobilize any resources for evacuation. Nor did Gov Blanco. Blanco pre-possitioned NG troops in the Barracks in NOLA. They were flooded-out by the storm and had to be rescued. She did not mobilize the remainder of the state NG until 1 day before the storm, and it takes about 2 days to mobilize NG. The first week after the storm Mr Nagin was in Dallas buying a house.

No, it is NOT their fault. It is the storm's fault. Their advisors were inept and their own leadership was poor. Bush was no better in that regard, though he did have an excellent federal army which, when finally mobilized, organized the shit out of everything.

Sorry Bot I did not know about the Governor's roll in turning down the offer from the WH but did not read that much and just looked up the timeline, copied and pasted but then as always the Govt you get is only as good as what you voted in.....
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Congratulations, JE! You were successful in obfuscating Barney's ill behavior by making this thread about Katrina and Bush.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Congratulations, JE! You were successful in obfuscating Barney's ill behavior by making this thread about Katrina and Bush.
Oh shit, Barney's ill? Is it true he has contracted food poisoning after eating at Mitch McConnell's house?
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
One must concede the latter is more interesting…

To be fair it was posts by Shane, TNT, and Bot that started the thread off track; JE got flagged for being the last to hit back – it never fails.

As to the thread topic – if you feel that strongly about the inappropriate nature of the letter I’d suggest you contact the voters in the Fourth Congressional district of Massachusetts and explain to them why you believe Frank should not be reelected. Otherwise they have the right to be represented by whomever they wish. Alert House leadership as well to demand his removal from his current position.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244 View Post

To be fair it was posts by Shane, TNT, and Bot that started the thread off track; JE got flagged for being the last to hit back – it never fails.

As to the thread topic – if you feel that strongly about the inappropriate nature of the letter I’d suggest you contact the voters in the Fourth Congressional district of Massachusetts and explain to them why you believe Frank should not be reelected. Otherwise they have the right to be represented by whomever they wish. Alert House leadership as well to demand his removal from his current position.

No worries, not the first time nor the last that a RWNJ sullies my good name a reputation......
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244 View Post

That wuzzn't me! It wuz an alien in Bot-skin!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in