Intolerance, prejudice and hypocrisy alive and well in BWOT... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Intolerance, prejudice and hypocrisy alive and well in BWOT...

So I’ve been watching BWOT with moderate to extreme disgust lately.

People come here with all kinds of histories, beliefs and perspectives. I’m gay, I’m Muslim, I’m this, well, I’m that. I love guns, guns should be outlawed. Prison sentences should be increased, people should be able to text while driving. Help me with my DUI, it’s BS, I didn’t hurt anyone.

With the rarest of exceptions, all find themselves welcomed with open arms and minds. Naturally, opinions vary and debates get spirited from time to time.

However…when people go overboard and make it personal, they get a time-out. All fine and dandy.

However, lately it seems to have turned extremely acrimonious in a discrete context; virtually no debate on the one side, just a bunch of hateful, bigoted, intolerant, prejudiced attacks. Sadly, such conduct has included not only established members, but also BenzWorld staff. (No, you don’t leave your opinion at the door when you become site staff, but IMHO you should remember that you are also representing BenzWorld and thus strive to set a fair example; no need encouraging that kind of flame-nonsense, right?)

I’m fairly certain that as you’re reading, you’re already thinking of names. But don’t bother. I won’t name names, because they’re just the example of the broader issue.

And it may come as a surprise – at least to these flagrant perpetrators – to hear themselves described in this manner, since for the most part they pride themselves as being liberal, forward-thinking bastions of tolerance and acceptance (which of course in this case means they may also wear the moniker of hypocrite). Nevertheless, they are, regrettably, some of the worst examples of intolerance I’ve seen on this forum…and that, my friends, is saying something.

So towards whom is all of this hate and intolerance directed? Well, think about it. You can toss out pretty much any perspective or opinion here without causing too much hatred, but if you say one thing that smacks of supporting a Christian tenet or viewpoint (or Heavens, admit that you just might be a Christian)…well, it’s apparent that hate speech and intolerance is fine when it’s directed at anyone espousing a Christian viewpoint.

So I’m curious: why the double-standard? Any of the recent threads discussing Christianity, if you substitute “Islam” or “gay”, or “black” or… then the reactionary, hateful drivel being spewed forth would not stand and certainly wouldn’t be supported. But …what? Why is hate speech fine in this context and not against anything else (except, perhaps, some GM products)?

Now, before you paint me with your reactionary brush (and let’s be honest: several of those who argue for open-minded, tolerant, accepting attitudes did so the minute they read the word “Christian”), please be awake enough to comprehend that this is not about religion -- per se. I’d be just as disgusted if such reprehensible conduct were directed towards anyone in particular, because that’s not what OT is – or should be – about. And that is the broader issue: if that is okay in OT, it reflects on the entire forum.

Or maybe I'm just off my nut. Perhaps that actually is what you want? A single-minded group of automatons? If we all think the same, then only one is required. Or perhaps you prefer to follow the Nazis' lead: those of differing mindsets need not apply?

I would hope that all of you would reject such utter stupidity. Ideally, OT should be about open discussion, dialog and debate. Bigoted hate speech and personal attacks add to neither and diminish the integrity of the speaker, vitiate anything of value s/he might have to say, and in the case of site staff, it damages the entire site, not just OT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What did I miss? Perhaps you should name names, or at least post a link with examples
post #3 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Your girlfriend is wiccan, isn't she?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
We need tit pics or GTFO
post #5 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
Long lapsed catholic
post #6 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jplinville
Nice post Greg. Lately, I have been disgusted in the manner in which many here have expressed themselves. There is a certain group here that is going from one thread to another, doing everything they can to destroy the OP. This certain group of people have disgusted me in ways that i will not expand on, due to the nature of some of the most recent posts I have witnessed.

I always thought that those that owned M-B vehicles were above this kind of BS...I would expect this garbage on other vehicle based forums, but not on one dedicated to M-B vehicles.

I'm not a real dickhead...but I acted like one in high school.
post #7 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
I think you take the concept of tolerance and misapply it the case of how Christianity is or is not tolerated as a view point.

I believe the intolerance is of Christian "values" being injected into politics, which is all about telling other people what to do by using the government and its resources to enforce Christian "values" as they are interpreted by a few, on all Americans. It is specifically disallowed by the Constitution.

I get particularly intolerant when Christian "values" seek to mislead our youth, handicapping them in their formative years by trying to teach them concepts like the theory of evolution is not valid, and their doctrine about creationism is valid, or at least on equal footing with the theory of evolution. That is something no other culture is subjecting their children to - instead they teach them to be able to use their minds and the scientific method to understand their environment and compete to make a living when they mature in life. And many of these other cultures are more deeply steeped in Christian "values" than the United States.

When Christian "values" are used to create and build political power, it is offensive to many, and should be to all Americans. I have no issue with anyone valuing their relationship with Jesus or any other version of god. What I do not support is this constant meme of preaching and trying to convert others to the cause, especially when the same individuals can't see the affront to Jesus Christ that torture and other acts, like unprovoked killing of hundreds of thousands of humans in their country "so we don't have to fight them over here" when the terrorists never existed in the location we selected to have it out with them in, are - either be Christian and do so privately as Christ instructed, or be called out as a hypocrite for using Christianity to garner political power.

There is no plot to discredit Christians or the Christian faith. Just a yardstick marked with Christ's teachings and the United States Constitution that the conspicuous Christians are being measured by. And they routinely fail to even show an awareness of either Christ's teachings or the United States Constitution.

Jim

Last edited by JimSmith; 05-29-2009 at 07:02 PM.
post #8 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
I still don't understand the point of this thread.
post #9 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
We're not classy enough to own MBs
post #10 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I only know that it's not the same as the yet undiscovered point of this thread: So is it no-holds-barred in OT now?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in