Intolerance, prejudice and hypocrisy alive and well in BWOT... - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I call them like I see them...This section is too lax, and it has the ability to run many new members off the site.

Joking and fun on a site in the OT section is great, but the constant personal attacks against those with differing opinions of beliefs is wrong, and needs to stop.

The political threads are wonderful, but people have forgotten how to debate in the proper manner...backing up statements with facts is something I haven't witnessed too much of here. You can't debate on emotions, it makes for a very boring debate, and a poor outcome.
Oft times what is considered a personal attack is the sarcastic element of the debate among folks who chat often.

A good real life example from today. Wifie was going to pick me up for lunch as she came back from her parents. I said I would be in the front of the house at the street. She pulled in the back which required me wandering around the house to get in. Not a biggie. My comment "so, what about 'standing on the street in front of the house' eluded you?" resulted in getting flipped off. Someone on the outside would have seen a domestic moment instead of a very normal part of of our daily smartassed conversation.

Back in virtual world, go back to many of the conversations between Jayhawk and myself. On the outside they look for all the world like rude and crude insults thrown across the virtual wall. When we met and laughed about them both knew that they were part of the playing that we do. It is why, on more than one occasion one of the two of us will post up a picture like the one below.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jplinville
I love how liberals, who are supposedly for the little guy and working man, love to make digs at those that are in lesser classes than them. Makes a ton of sense to me...

I'm not a real dickhead...but I acted like one in high school.
post #73 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Send a message via AIM to jplinville
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Oft times what is considered a personal attack is the sarcastic element of the debate among folks who chat often.

A good real life example from today. Wifie was going to pick me up for lunch as she came back from her parents. I said I would be in the front of the house at the street. She pulled in the back which required me wandering around the house to get in. Not a biggie. My comment "so, what about 'standing on the street in front of the house' eluded you?" resulted in getting flipped off. Someone on the outside would have seen a domestic moment instead of a very normal part of of our daily smartassed conversation.

Back in virtual world, go back to many of the conversations between Jayhawk and myself. On the outside they look for all the world like rude and crude insults thrown across the virtual wall. When we met and laughed about them both knew that they were part of the playing that we do. It is why, on more than one occasion one of the two of us will post up a picture like the one below.
Taking digs and potshots on friends is one thing...personal attacks on those you don't care for is another.

I'm not a real dickhead...but I acted like one in high school.
post #74 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
What is a class of people?
yeah, i want to know that too.

in political asylum
post #75 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Taking digs and potshots on friends is one thing...personal attacks on those you don't care for is another.
That's the point. Those on the outside of the conversation would have bet large sums of money that I didn't care for Jayhawk at all as he and I are diametrically opposed on many issues. And the same bets would have gone the other way as well.

You will note that my posting changed a while back to some people. Someone called me one of the "Intellectual Elite" which I thought was very funny. Several others piled on with that description. From that point on, I cranked the volume to 11 and have reflected that persona to the folks who made that association. The more biased and less prepared the post coming in, the more amplified the post going back in reponse. The better prepared and well articulated points from an opposing post, the more measured and less amplified response.

So, to put it in a MASH analogy, post Frank Burns, get Charles Emerson Winchester III in response.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #76 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I love how liberals, who are supposedly for the little guy and working man, love to make digs at those that are in lesser classes than them. Makes a ton of sense to me...
What is a lesser class????
post #77 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Unfortunately, you are unable to reflect the personification back to yourself which is really a hallmark of being an intellectual elite. Basically, all your argumentative posts can be summarized as "I am right".
Oh, don't forget the LIBERAL qualifier.

... and this important discussion continues.

Dooloogssst!
post #78 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Unfortunately, you are unable to reflect the personification back to yourself which is really a hallmark of being an intellectual elite. Basically, all your argumentative posts can be summarized as "I am right".
Oh, don't forget the LIBERAL qualifier.
Reading comprehension really does elude you, doesn't it?

As for the "I am right" concept, it would be somewhat stupid to articulate a series of positions for which I did not believe what I write. Are you suggesting that others do that?

McBear,
Kentucky

post #79 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I have a problem with churches manipulating their flock to do evil in the name of Jesus Christ and then calling it a Christian value. I have a problem with churches manipulating their flocks of sheep to gain political power to circumvent the United States Constitution.

I have a problem with churches manipulating their flocks to preach their church propaganda to people who didn't ask to be preached at. And I have a problem with churches manipulating their flocks of sheep to get worked up over unfounded BS like creationism vs. the theory of evolution.

When a Christian follows the teachings of Jesus Christ, I have no issues, as Jesus made it clear the relationship should be private, not some public display that is set aside when you are confronted with your daily decisions on how to treat others and excused because you are human. Like torturing other humans. Should be something that is clearly contrary to Jesus Christ's teachings yet Christians who loudly proclaim their Christian values seem to find torture ok.

Being human and honoring the miracle of human and other life is hardly something that originated in the Bible. Go read some history of other religions that existed prior to the Bible. It is more likely the Bible drew its lessons from pagan practices and other religions than those sources of life's lessons jumped forward in time, raided the Bible and then brought them back in time to the era before the Bible.

Not sure what your last statement means - the direction not to have a state favored religion is implemented by not having any particular religion hold a place in political processes. To do that no religion can hold power over the political process. It is one of the conditions of being a non-profit organization. Do good by helping people, but don't try to get your narrow interpretations of life's guidelines from any source codified into law. Teach your kid to ignore the scientific method if you want but don't mess with my kid's intellect.

There are no "laws" in science, only theories. At some point a consensus of a theory's validity will earn it an honorary title of "law" but there is no specific criteria for anointing a theory a law after a period of time. Any single event that can disprove a "law" under any set of circumstances makes the "law" invalid. And if anyone thinks any "laws" of physics don't have soft spots when you deal with extremes of scale, you are not paying attention.

The issue with creationism is that it is made up, without any scientific data to support it, merely to manipulate the sheep in the flock - keeping them busy "doing the Lord's work" to confront the heathens about some sacred premise in a misinterpreted phrase in the Bible. There is nothing in the theory of evolution that says god did not make man. It merely says something about the process god used, based on the evidence he left behind. The church has interpreted this to suggest the theory of evolution is somehow attacking the concept that god created the universe.

Any decent scientist understands the difference between the questions of what happened in the past and why do we exist. The mysteries of what happened and when it happened is something our god given intellect as a species has enabled us to unravel a bit over the last century. No one has suggested a scientific reason for why any of it began. It is a fabricated argument by the churches who oppose the enlightenment of the masses since they realize the more educated and independent thinking the flock becomes, the less likely they will be to remain completely bamboozled by the church, and the less likely they will be to remain one of the sheep in the flock. It has zero to do with the Bible and everything to do with keeping a large population under their thumb.

That works for some transgressions that are personal, in the moment, and real - like speeding when not speeding makes you an impediment to traffic. It does not work for long term failures, like brushing under the rug the actions of priests molesting children for decades and it does not excuse the intellectual failure to acknowledge torturing any human being is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ. And for the life of me, I cannot understand how the Bible is the Christian's favorite book - Jesus never endorsed it, or even proof read it. It was written by a bunch of other people with their own political agendas. Christians who want to believe in the Bible should call themselves something else, maybe Biblicalists, to distinguish their beliefs in "an eye for an eye" and "stoning people to death" and all the other crap that Jesus clearly spoke against.

Jim

I think you hit the nail on the head. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. It is called HATE. Clear contempt for anyone that drinks a different flavor of coolaid. You seem to focus on the very worst of one group while spouting what you perceive to the best of your belief.

I particularly like the way you twist the teachings of Jesus in regard to the relationship and public display of the relationship. I believe the point you are twisting is that one should not make a specticle of himself to prove how rightous and holy he is. One thing lacking in the world today is humility and integrity. This is a basic teaching of Jesus. That we are to recognize that we are flawed and that men are not the intellectual authority.

A key to increasing knowledge is accepting, understanding and admitting that we dont know what we do not know. To accept or dismiss something based on ramblings, sound bytes, or some vague biased understanding is ingorance.

That goes for religion, evolutionary theory, politics or any other subject matter.

To accept theory as fact and or religion as fact is no different. When theory becomes law then not to accept it is ignorance. And yes laws do exist. You may heard of a little thing called gravity. It cannot be disputed, it nets the same result time and time again and it can be mathematically substantiated.

When evolution becomes a law and the data supports it, I will change my position on that subject. I think we agree that Christianity, Creationism and Evolution are not diametrically opposed.
post #80 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65red View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. It is called HATE. Clear contempt for anyone that drinks a different flavor of coolaid. You seem to focus on the very worst of one group while spouting what you perceive to the best of your belief.

I particularly like the way you twist the teachings of Jesus in regard to the relationship and public display of the relationship. I believe the point you are twisting is that one should not make a specticle of himself to prove how rightous and holy he is. One thing lacking in the world today is humility and integrity. This is a basic teaching of Jesus. That we are to recognize that we are flawed and that men are not the intellectual authority.

A key to increasing knowledge is accepting, understanding and admitting that we dont know what we do not know. To accept or dismiss something based on ramblings, sound bytes, or some vague biased understanding is ingorance.

That goes for religion, evolutionary theory, politics or any other subject matter.

To accept theory as fact and or religion as fact is no different. When theory becomes law then not to accept it is ignorance. And yes laws do exist. You may heard of a little thing called gravity. It cannot be disputed, it nets the same result time and time again and it can be mathematically substantiated.

When evolution becomes a law and the data supports it, I will change my position on that subject. I think we agree that Christianity, Creationism and Evolution are not diametrically opposed.
Uh, check that...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in