Intolerance, prejudice and hypocrisy alive and well in BWOT... - Page 32 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #311 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Read a few more threads where religious dogma is inserted over and over again, out of context, in responses to other threads having no religious theme, until they are hijacked. Most of the subsequent "religious subjects" in threads started by those who are not religious are in response to the persistent hijacking. If Christians would merely keep their relationship with Christ private, as Jesus instructed, and live lives according to his teachings, this would not be an issue.

Jim
If you're willing, perhaps we can split the workload on this project. Then, we can achieve an accurate accounting of (1) number of posts and (2) number of threads begun by the various sides.

Then, we can check guesswork at the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
I see, you changed the wording a tad, and I got lost. mcbear said "Atheists, Agnostics and believers in the worlds many faiths", and that is a big difference. It is only a point, because many Christians confuse the words "religion" with "Christianity".

In any case, not to worry, I get it now.
Understood, and I used his categories in an effort to avoid murky waters. Oh, well...nothing a little chlorine and soda ash won't fix, right?
post #313 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
What Mr. Wilson doesn't grasp, or doesn't want to grasp is that folks are NOT trying to dispatch religion.....
"Most?" I don't know whether I could possibly offer a estimation except to say "more than none, less than all."

Lots of people do indeed wish to kill-off religion as they believe religion is the origin of great evil and suffering. There are a fair number of folks on this site who have expressed exactly that.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #314 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down

If you're gonna keep a score, it seems to be only sport with a chip over the shoulders.
post #315 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
God will get you for that.

I wonder if that is what the Bishop told the Altar Boy to get him to swallow instead of spit?

Jim
post #316 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Can't we all just fuck each other up the anus and get along?
I believe you are stealing the Monsignor's line to the Altar Boy while both are in the closet with the door closed.

Jim
post #317 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pres View Post
If you're willing, perhaps we can split the workload on this project. Then, we can achieve an accurate accounting of (1) number of posts and (2) number of threads begun by the various sides.

Then, we can check guesswork at the door.
God might be willing, but not me. And, if you are going to keep statistics, make a "posts that hijacked the thread with Christian or other random and not pertinent, religulousity-inspired non-sense" vs. "Whole threads started by those who appear to be non-believers on the subject of the peculiar nature of religulous thinking."

As I see it, the internet is a place where your genetic and other shortcomings are only made apparent if you bring them up. So just leave the subject of your religulous based thinking out of the discussion, unless like the poor originator of "Chapter 1 - why I am not an atheist" you want to provoke discussion about shortcomings in the form of a willingness to set aside logic and embrace something else, while you try to make the whole thing sound like it is driven by logic.

Jim
post #318 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Perhaps.

On the other hand, there is evidence - at least here on BWOT - that runs counter to this argument.

Simple question: How many religious threads are begun by Athiests and Agnostics vs. followers?
We have only recently had a spurt of actual "religious threads". Most religious discussion, as mentioned above sprouts out of Pro Choice or Gay Rights or NeoCon or Middle East conversations.

During the 2008 election there were religious subjects as the Republican Vice President decided to bring her religion into the conversation and the Rightwing blogsphere decided to bring in Obama's. Apparently nobody cared about Joe's Catholicism or that McCain is the only declared Baptist who has never been baptized.

So, what we have is a little physics experiment that went bad. During the last 30 years the Christian Coalition, Moral Majority, Focus on the Family, etc have taken a very honest, solid religious background of this country and morphed it into a Political Action Committee. For 30 years there have been inroads into the personal rights of folks who just want to be. Sometimes it is as simple as changing a word in sex education or history books, other times it is the complete rewriting of science books to sneak in religious doctrine and other times it is trying to remove rights from or exclude certain groups of people from equal legal rights. At some point those PACs should have expected a blowback to occur. They should have expected the folks that they kept trying to push aside because those folks didn't believe the same fanciful fables as the PAC donors did would finally have enough and say STFU. Apparently the hubris involved in believing that being christian is somehow better than everything else sheltered folks from that very present reality. Think of Newton's Third Law.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #319 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
"Most?" I don't know whether I could possibly offer a estimation except to say "more than none, less than all."

Lots of people do indeed wish to kill-off religion as they believe religion is the origin of great evil and suffering. There are a fair number of folks on this site who have expressed exactly that.

B
I think, on this site the majority of those who tire of religious dogma are more interesting in folks just having there own personal experience and quit trying to inflict it on everyone else.

Do folks blame religion for much evil and suffering, YES. Is there proof, Absolutely. But if you have followed the threads, you will remember that MOST folks always point out that Hindi or Buddhist or Native America or Aboriginal or the more regular Protestant churches have not been in the business of always trying to get their particular religion canonized into LAW. And that is were the crux of the problem starts. As long as folks enjoy their beliefs, good for them. As soon as they try pushing their beliefs to everyone else, no good for them.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #320 of 342 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
For consistency, I was using the three categories mcbear listed in his post (see post #300 on this thread).
Those weren't categories, that was a narrative sentence. You don't want to see when I get started on categories.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in