Intolerance, prejudice and hypocrisy alive and well in BWOT... - Page 12 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Duh. If we can't manage that, the entire text is out of reach, is that really your argument? Could you possibly be more obtuse?
I could! I could!

(Waving hands in the back of the class)

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Double dog dare you to try.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #113 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2008
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the beauty of the whole debate.
We will all die one day. On that day we will either have the truth revealed to us or we will be turned off light the light bulb. Having believed in Christ in my life in my opinion has been to the betterment of it. For those who dont believe, their opinion is that they are better for it.

No man will be converted (to either side) on this forum.

It has been interesting to see the different insight out there. So thanks for sharing. Just dont bash each other.
65red is offline  
post #114 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Location: Ratville
Posts: 24,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Duh. If we can't manage that, the entire text is out of reach, is that really your argument? Could you possibly be more obtuse?
Hey, you said the book of Genesis can be evaluated scientifically.

... and this important discussion continues.


Dooloogssst!
mlfun is offline  
post #115 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Yes. Now go read the rest of it, if you're able.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #116 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Location: Ratville
Posts: 24,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Yes. Now go read the rest of it, if you're able.
Oh, in case you did not notice, the very first phrase has the word in it.

Genesis 1.1 In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth

... and this important discussion continues.


Dooloogssst!
mlfun is offline  
post #117 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Yes. Now go read the rest of it, if you're able.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #118 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Scientifically evaluating the testable events of Genesis is tedious, has been done, and provides parsimonious alternative explanations for those events that are testable. Whether or not people choose to accept them is irrelevant. Indeed, those alternatives are themselves testable and tested.

Many, if not most claims or descriptions found in Genesis are untestable. Or at least, have never been asserted in a falsifiable statement. A statement that is not falsifiable is by definition, unscientific.

Scince has no business asking unscientific questions.

OTOH, religion is unconstrained. It need not reference reason or logic or evidence or fact or anything real. Since religion is by definition unfalsifiable, it cannot offer a proof of itself that is falsifiable.

Or paraphrasing Martin Luther, by faith alone will the religious truth be revealed.

Most modern, educated people find groundless assertions of reality unsatisfactory.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #119 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
If you mean that they are NECESSARILY in opposition, then I disagree.

Nothing that you have written above proves your assertion.
Using the critiria laid down by the question that I was answering, yes, the opposition is established as one is based on evidence and one is based on faith, the "opposition" posited in the original question.

Your reference to agnosticism is, however an accurate one in my mind. It is why, when asked I use that as a label if one must be attached. I define Agnostic as:

Quote:
I’m neither arrogant enough to believe there is nothing out there that may be beyond my ability to comprehend that works against or even manipulates physical laws...
NOR
am I self-centered enough to think that if one being did create everything in the entire universe he would change his universal plans for my wants or convenience, or give a moment’s thought to what I think or how I behave.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #120 of 342 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Concepts which deal with disparate fundamentals cannot be in direct opposition. One is a theory of the scientific community and the other is an illustration of the divine nature.
Note, we were not the ones trying to place them on even footing. See original post 79 for that.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Fear, intolerance, loathing, hipocrisy? Check Codes Off-Topic 16 05-21-2009 07:29 PM
    Sodomize Intolerance GeeS Off-Topic 14 11-02-2008 03:44 PM
    The Palin Hypocrisy FeelTheLove Off-Topic 14 09-19-2008 10:55 PM
    What is hypocrisy? runawayfreighttrain Off-Topic 45 08-17-2006 02:06 AM
    to all of your prejudice and racist people ashroxamg R170 SLK-Class 8 09-14-2001 10:30 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome