Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
More Burris BS

This turd just won't flush.

Sen. Burris repeats he didn't pay for appointment
By MIKE ROBINSON, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO – Roland Burris isn't hiding after a judge allowed the release of a transcript in which the senator offers to "personally do something" for then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich's campaign fund.

He reiterated Wednesday that he never participated in a pay-to-play scheme for his appointment to the Senate seat previously held by Barack Obama.

"Did I try to buy the seat? Never," Burris told reporters Wednesday outside his Chicago home before he set out on a two-day tour of central Illinois. The Democrat said he has been truthful at every step since Blagojevich appointed him to the Senate seat.

"Did I try to buy the seat? Never," Burris said. "Did I commit perjury? No."

His swing through Illinois comes a day after the release of the contents of a Nov. 13 wiretapped conversation between Burris and the former governor's brother. In it, Burris offered to give the governor's campaign committee a check but worried doing anything more might make it seem like he was "trying to buy an appointment" to the U.S Senate, according to transcripts of their wiretapped conversation.

"I mean, so Rob, I'm in a dilemma right now wanting to help the governor," Burris tells Robert Blagojevich, who headed his brother's campaign fund, in the phone conversation secretly taped by the FBI.

"I know I could give him a check," Burris says. "Myself. ... I will personally do something, okay."

The senator said Wednesday the check would have been for $1,000, an amount he had donated to the Blagojevich campaign before.

"If you look at the transcript you can see what I was saying," Burris told reporters. "I did not know anything about a pay-to-play. I knew if I raised money, it would be a problem."

On the transcript, Burris had cautioned that "if I put on a fundraiser now ... it has so many negative connotations that Burris is trying to buy an appointment from the governor for the senate seat."

"God knows No. 1, I wanna help Rod," Burris says in the recording. "No. 2, I also wanna, you know, hope I get a consideration to get that appointment."

The transcript of the wiretapped conversation was released Tuesday after U.S. District Chief Judge James F. Holderman approved making it available to the U.S. Senate ethics committee for its preliminary investigation of Burris's appointment.

Burris has been under intense scrutiny since he was appointed by the now-ousted governor at the end of December, and for changing his story multiple times about whether he promised anything in exchange for it. The ethics committee began a preliminary investigation into how Burris got his job, and the Sangamon County State's Attorney was asked to determine whether perjury charges were warranted.

Burris opens the wiretapped conversation by telling Robert Blagojevich: "I know you're calling telling me that you're gonna make me king of the world."

"And therefore I can go off to, you know, wherever and do all these great things," Burris adds. He says that he has "been trying to figure out what the heck, you know, I can do."

"We've had a number of conversations about, you know, anything you might be able to do," Robert Blagojevich says a moment later.

The conversation took place about three weeks before Rod Blagojevich's Dec. 9 arrest on charges of scheming to sell or trade the Senate seat being vacated by President Barack Obama's election and using the political muscle of the governor's office to squeeze people involved in state business for campaign contributions.

Blagojevich and his brother have both pleaded not guilty in response to charges in the case as have four other members of the former governor's inner circle.

Neither Robert Blagojevich's attorney, Michael Ettinger, nor Burris attorney Timothy Wright objected to the government's motion to give the tapes to the Senate. Wright said Tuesday that Burris never wrote any checks to the Blagojevich campaign following the conversation.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office, Randall Samborn, had no comment.

The former governor, ousted by lawmakers in January, has been the focus of a federal corruption investigation for years.

He was indicted in April on charges of scheming to trade or sell Obama's old seat and using the political muscle of his office to squeeze people for campaign money. Also indicted were Robert Blagojevich, former campaign fund chairman Christopher G. Kelly, former Blagojevich chiefs of staff John Harris and Alonzo Monk and Springfield multimillionaire William Cellini.

All have pleaded not guilty, although Harris's attorney says he is cooperating with federal prosecutors and Monk is believed to be as well.

Burris' Senate appointment followed at least two phone conversations between Burris and Robert Blagojevich.

Burris told the Illinois House impeachment committee that he had promised nothing to Blagojevich in exchange for the seat but has changed his version of exactly what was said several times and questions have been raised about what happened.

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., agreed to seat Burris if he gave a full accounting of his Blagojevich contacts to the Illinois House committee that considered impeachment of the governor.

Burris gave the committee an affidavit denying any discussion with Blagojevich's aides before being offered the seat. But when he testified, Burris acknowledged talking to one of Blagojevich's friends and informal advisers about it.

Burris did not admit talking to anyone else and said he could not recall any other contacts.

Then, after he was sworn in, Burris released another affidavit acknowledging that he had talked to several Blagojevich advisers about his interest in the seat. Soon after, talking to reporters, he said he had been asked to help raise campaign money for the governor and tried to find people willing to donate but failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
This guy is a stain. Hopefully, the Dems will do better than the GOP and purge their corrupt.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
The Repos are gonna hang Buris on the Demo's necks like a dead robin tied to a pussycat.

Political theater is great.

Somebody get the Orville Redenbacher out!

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
His ties to Balgo make his seat a problem. I believe his term is up for re-election 2010 so both the State Democratic Party and the voters of Illinois will have an opportunity to address the issue.

Or an ethics committee can address it sooner but the Senate, no matter what the party tends to drag its feet on that and let the voters make the call.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
His ties to Balgo make his seat a problem. I believe his term is up for re-election 2010 so both the State Democratic Party and the voters of Illinois will have an opportunity to address the issue.

Or an ethics committee can address it sooner but the Senate, no matter what the party tends to drag its feet on that and let the voters make the call.
After watching the GOP (rightfully) thrown under the BWOT bus for not purging their corrupt, I would think that dragging their feet would be unacceptable.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
You guys just don't get it. Roland Burris is the least corrupt politician in the entire state of Illinois.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed - it is unacceptable. Here again, is a chance to do the right thing and take the high ground, and it's going unclaimed.

Pathetic. I'm certainly disappointed at the number of opportunities for the Obama cabinet to have really leveraged their momentum for some genuine good, and instead, they're allowing themselves to be drug down and outfoxed by playing the game the detestable Republicans are baiting them into playing.

I'm "hoping" that this is what happens when a young and somewhat naive group of ideologues get hit in the face with the reality of running the largest economic superpower on the planet, and that they'll learn & rise to the challenge.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
After watching the GOP (rightfully) thrown under the BWOT bus for not purging their corrupt, I would think that dragging their feet would be unacceptable.
I agree that there should be ethics hearings. But if this is all they have, it becomes a he said/he said and INTENT becomes the issue.

From my previous posts you will note that I think he should not have been seated but that he has a full legal right to be there. It is going to take much more than this to blow him out of the seat. I would think they would want to see if there is actually impeachable material before heading down that path. Maybe the US Attorney's office will enlighten everyone at some point, though I would have assumed that anything really damaging would have come out during the Blago TRIAL.

If the Dems want to do it they can simply wait until December/January and have the ethics investigation just before the primary for 2010. That, on the other hand is duplicitous. It is why I think they will just let the voters make the call during the May primary, one year away.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post

I'm "hoping" that this is what happens when a young and somewhat naive group of ideologues get hit in the face with the reality of running the largest economic superpower on the planet, and that they'll learn & rise to the challenge.
You can have that now that all seven seasons are available in a boxed set for a buck twenty five.

What? Do I sound cynical?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
You can have that now that all seven seasons are available in a boxed set for a buck twenty five.

What? Do I sound cynical?

So how come your Hero & Co. just not watch each episode and lead by example? The last 8 years could have been so different.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in