Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
Actually it was reduced to 15% in Dec 08 as part of a 'stimulus package'. Just think, if it had been reduced to 0%, we would now be super-stimulated....
True, but Dig has taken his vacation down the road this year. My hunch is that he won't be going abroad before 31/12/09 at which point it's right back up to 17.5%
I wouldn't rule out 20% in the near future. Spending taxes are considered more politically expedient by both New Labour and the 'new' Conservatives.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I think where the problem lies with that model of "just cutting spending" is that the programs that get cut, for the most part are going to be picked up by the states on some levels. That just pushes the taxes down a level, not eliminating them.

I keep reading the budget and seeing what big swath of cuts can be made to actually make a substantive difference. Adding up bunches of little things, like dropping the building of a carrier group as an example all have positives but also have negatives.

Using the carrier group as an example, the jobs lost from shutting down the building of the group [a collection of ships, not just the carrier, and its planes] would 1) devastate the economies of the shipyards that build the boats and the towns that build the planes. Further all that money that stops would NOT be flowing into the economy, with 25-30% coming right back into the coffers for taxes, SSI monies, medicare monies, etc. The the 70% remaining would not be pushing through the economy.

Move that one step further and the 15,000 sailors of a carrier task force would not be needed, along with the ancillary troops that go with them. More unemployment.

This is a problem for which there are not easy answers. Just turning off one spigot of appropriations to "save" money will have nearly as many negative affects as keeping the money flowing.

I don't advocate debt, and I don't advocate starving the population by overtaxing them, and I also don't advocate cutting programs that will just move to state level and cost as much or more as we would then have "a bit less federal tax" and "a bit more state tax" and the guarantee is that the aggregate would be greater than current.

So what is the Bigger picture solution, one that looks well beyond just the numbers of the budget.
Well, here's an easy answer or two for some of the data you've shared. If we don't need something, say, an aircraft carrier, don't buy one. The government buying something we don't need just for the purposes you've advocated (all the sailors, shipbuilders, etc) is really dumb.

post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
Well, here's an easy answer or two for some of the data you've shared. If we don't need something, say, an aircraft carrier, don't buy one. The government buying something we don't need just for the purposes you've advocated (all the sailors, shipbuilders, etc) is really dumb.
I never said we don't need them. I am guessing that the next 12 months is going to show how much since we are down to 12.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colasģ & Moon Piesģ

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dope View Post
True, but Dig has taken his vacation down the road this year. My hunch is that he won't be going abroad before 31/12/09 at which point it's right back up to 17.5%
I wouldn't rule out 20% in the near future. Spending taxes are considered more politically expedient by both New Labour and the 'new' Conservatives.
I'll be in Hawaii for a little over a week at the end of June. Does that qualify as "abroad".

I tend not to go places where I have to ask for "American Sauce" when I want to put ketchup on my fries (chips).

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
we don't call it American Sauce nor ketchup, but Tomato Sauce, dead horse or sauce will get you what you are after down here.

We also put gravy on chips down here...

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Economics is a sort of description of events which, in hindsight, it makes with perfect clarity and little understanding.

It cannot predict reliably.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
I'll be in Hawaii for a little over a week at the end of June. Does that qualify as "abroad".

I tend not to go places where I have to ask for "American Sauce" when I want to put ketchup on my fries (chips).
1) Yes and no.

2) I've been around a bit, but I've never visited anywhere that calls ketchup 'American sauce'. To where were you referring?

Maybe this will help clarify any confusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzyYYZsxGc

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca

Last edited by Smackrattle; 05-30-2009 at 08:02 PM.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Economics is a sort of description of events which, in hindsight, it makes with perfect clarity and little understanding.

It cannot predict reliably.

B
Sure it can. Economics' main problem is that those predictions and models are usually utilized by politicians which spin them for non economic purposes.

Economic modeling and forecasting helped Wall Street grow exponentially from 1990. Greed was the primary trigger that put it on its ass. There were, however hundreds of economists who were running up big red flags on the current mess as early as 2005, many deadly accurate.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
What do you want to bet that was the Pharoaonic Justification for yet another pyramid. "We need ANOTHER pyramid to keep all of those Hebrews working making bricks and shit."

"Help! I'm being oppressed!"

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Sure it can. Economics' main problem is that those predictions and models are usually utilized by politicians which spin them for non economic purposes.

Economic modeling and forecasting helped Wall Street grow exponentially from 1990. Greed was the primary trigger that put it on its ass. There were, however hundreds of economists who were running up big red flags on the current mess as early as 2005, many deadly accurate.
Shoot. Ask any economists who subscribe to different schools what A) Caused the Great Depression, B) What ended the Great Depression, C) cause of the recovery in the early 1980's, D) how long it projected, E) what caused the current unpleasantness, F) when (if) it will recover and you'll get

(6^n)/2 answers

where n = the number of economists.

This can be generalized (x^n)/2

where x = number of questions.

And each will be exactly right: Just look at my graph.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in