post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
One thing is FOR SURE… Folks like her are usually full of %hit without that morning coffee.
You caught me, no question!

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
In order for her to get out of committee, she has to have 10 votes, one of which must be a Republican. Anyone wanna bet who gets a bunch of stimulus money?

Are you suggesting that you would support Republicans that would trade their vote for stimulus money?
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Are you suggesting that you would support Republicans that would trade their vote for stimulus money?
No more than you would accept a President who would bribe a senator to get a vote in committee.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
What issue? That RWNJs would squawk over a SC justice nomination by the Obama administration? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Of course, that would happen no matter who was nominated, essentially rendering the objections moot.
You live in quite the dream-world GS. Don't let reality smack you in the ass on your way out!

Don't believe everything you think
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
'Tell us about the gravity, George.'
I thought it was about the frequency, Kenneth...

post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Take a close look at this video..

Clearly this woman has peaked from her morning caffeine buzz. Just look at the clutter of beverages she has on her desk compared to the others whom are clearly less distracted with such self servitude. She finds herself lost in the moment stumbling over her own words yet can not seem to draw the power to pack it in. Meanwhile everyone else displays a phony smile or acts like they aren’t paying attention to her.

This woman could be the key to their undoing, especially if Obama gets a little Lewinski star in his eye.

One thing is FOR SURE… Folks like her are usually full of %hit without that morning coffee.
OMG! The thought of her giving Obama a Lewinski just freaks me out. BTW, are you on kcmbca.org?

post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

BEAR

Damn bear! Merging all of our threads is giving me mental whiplash!! And my browser just crashed trying to figure out where I should be in this morass. I agree w/ some above that you are trying to bury the fact that there are so many reasons to reject this Supreme Reject. I believe that the number of threads on a particular topic is directly proportional to the magnitude of concern about the subject of the threads. And you just buried the importance of this subject. And don't try to tell us you were just doing a little housekeeping, because we all know better!

post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
CNN. They had the comprehensive list instead of just throwing out a number that lacks context. Sotomayor's resume, record on notable cases - CNN.com

But I noticed you avoided discussing either the Alito or Roberts percentages. Problems with seeing things in context?
I did post that Sotomajor has been overturned 4 times by the SCOTUS. It is not the number of times that was important to me, but the fact that all 4 times were based on a misunderstanding of the law applied to the cases. And the SCOTUS cases were decided with judges we normally think of as liberal. Not the facts, not the application of the facts to the law, the law itself was not used or applied correctly. That is serious legal error. In my meager experience that would be like being stopped for speeding and the cop checks the box for "failure to yield right of way."

I wouldn't worry unnecessarily about Roberts or Alito. Each one of the confirmations is independent and unique. Or, their appointments are "settled law" as the Dems are wont to say.

McBare's vocabularly is stuck on "context" this week. That is the best evidence of Dem talking points. Remember "gravitas?" which went around for several weeks like the common cold? Context is what you refer to when you don't want someone to pay attention to the core matter at hand.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Topic of the day will be her stance on the 2nd amendment. Gun sales just went up this morning.
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

'Empathy' Is Code for Judicial Activism

I was going to start a new thread w/ this important article, but I knew it would get bearied...

What damage did Democrats suffer when they attacked Miguel Estrada?

Both President Barack Obama and Republicans get something they want from the Supreme Court nomination of Sonia Sotomayor.

Mr. Obama said he wanted to replace Justice David Souter with someone who had "empathy" and who'd temper the court's decisions with a concern for the downtrodden, the powerless and the voiceless.

"Empathy" is the latest code word for liberal activism, for treating the Constitution as malleable clay to be kneaded and molded in whatever form justices want. It represents an expansive view of the judiciary in which courts create policy that couldn't pass the legislative branch or, if it did, would generate voter backlash.

There is a certain irony in a president who routinely praises America's commitment to "the rule of law" but who picks Supreme Court nominees for their readiness to discard the rule of law whenever emotion moves them.

Mr. Obama's pick also allows him to placate Hispanic groups who'd complained of his failure to appoint more high profile Latinos to his administration. After the Democratic share of the Hispanic vote increased to 67% in 2008 from 53% in 2004, Latino groups felt they were due more cabinet and White House posts.

Mr. Obama also hopes to score political points as GOP senators oppose a Latina. Being able to jam opponents is a favorite Chicago political pastime. Besides, the president has been reluctant to make comprehensive immigration reform an issue, so a high-profile Latina appointment buys him time.

The Sotomayor nomination also provides Republicans with some advantages. They can stress their support for judges who strictly interpret the Constitution and apply the law as written. A majority of the public is with the GOP on opposing liberal activist judges. There is something in our political DNA that wants impartial umpires who apply the rules, regardless of who thereby wins or loses.

Mr. Obama understands the danger of heralding Judge Sotomayor as the liberal activist she is, so his spinners are intent on selling her as a moderate. The problem is that she described herself as liberal before becoming a judge, and fair-minded observers find her on the left of the federal bench.

Republicans also get a nominee who likes showing off and whose YouTube moments and Google insights cause people to wince. There are likely to be more revelations like Stuart Taylor's find last Saturday of this Sotomayor gem in a speech at Berkeley: "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a white male who hasn't lived that life." Invert the placement of "Latina woman" and "white male" and have a conservative say it: A career would be finished.

Both Mr. Obama and the Republicans are also are denied things in this nomination. Republicans are denied an easy target. Ms. Sotomayor has a compelling personal story, attractive for cable, celebrity magazines and tabloids.

The media has also quickly adopted the story line that Republicans will damage themselves with Hispanics if they oppose Ms. Sotomayor. But what damage did Democrats suffer when they viciously attacked Miguel Estrada's nomination by President George W. Bush to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, the nation's second-highest court? New York Sen. Chuck Schumer was particularly ugly, labeling Mr. Estrada a right-wing "stealth missile" who was "way out of the mainstream" and openly questioning Mr. Estrada's truthfulness.

Nonetheless, Republicans must treat her with far more care than Democrats treated John Roberts or Samuel Alito and avoid angry speeches like Sen. Ted Kennedy's tirade against Robert Bork. The GOP must make measured arguments against her views and philosophy, using her own words and actions.

The Ricci case is an example: Whites were denied fire department promotions because of a clear racial quota. Ms. Sotomayor's refusal to hear their arguments won her stinging criticism from fellow Second Court of Appeals judge José Cabranes, a respected Clinton appointee.

Mr. Obama won't get a new leader on the Supreme Court. Ms. Sotomayor does not appear to be a consensus builder whose persuasive abilities would allow her to flip a 4-5 decision to a 5-4 decision. She is likely to be just another reliable liberal vote, much as Justice Souter was, only without his gloomy silences and withdrawn nature.

While the next two to four months of maneuverings and hearings may provide more insights into the views of Mr. Obama's pick, barring an unforeseen development -- not unheard of in Supreme Court nominations -- Judge Sotomayor will become the second Hispanic (Benjamin Cardozo was Sephardic) and third woman confirmed to the Supreme Court. Democrats will win the vote, but Republicans can win the argument by making a clear case against the judicial activism she represents.

'Empathy' Is Code for Judicial Activism - WSJ.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in