LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:24 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
You do not want to tell that to disfigured cops who almost burned to death, or to families of those who did die, when the fuel tank ignited from being ruptured by the rear axle assembly when their car was hit from behind. That is why some police departments will not order these cars and this is why I will not own one. Mercury Grand Marquis has the same problem.
Wrong. The problem was not Ford's. The problem was the typical aftermarket issue cargo storage rack that nearly all municipalities used was screwed into the trunk wrong. The typical installation used sheet metal screws that would pierce the rear trunk wall and inadvertently point their ragged metal ends extremely close to the fuel tank. Everything was fine until a serious rear end collision could possibly push the sheet metal screws into the tank, possibly sparking a fire, or at least rupturing the tank. Why do you think the fires only happened to police cars and not civilian crowns and vic taxis? We handled a death case in Dallas many years ago involving the cop (an acquaintance of mine, and only 28 years old) being burned to death in a vic after being rear ended at 54 mph by a legally drunk dude in a Jeep Wrangler. We and everyone else found out the truth after this. The vic is still the #1 chosen police car, far over the Impala and Charger to this day. We own no less than 3 vics. It is the most quality you can buy used for the money. My mother and brother drive the vics regularly as do I. I have that much faith in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
I can't afford either one. If I had a choice, I would buy a NEW van but unfortunately teaching does not allow for luxuries.
You can get a nice one for less than $6k. This one will make everyone scamper within vision who has a warrant for their arrest. You can afford $6k can't you?

Ford : Crown Victoria:eBay Motors (item 150346755062 end time May-26-09 18:30:00 PDT)
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
You can get a nice one for less than $6k. This one will make everyone scamper within vision who has a warrant for their arrest. You can afford $6k can't you?

Ford : Crown Victoria:eBay Motors (item 150346755062 end time May-26-09 18:30:00 PDT)
Even if I could, I won't! $6K to buy and $60K to keep it running... No way! No more used cars for me. I will go get a job now...
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Wrong. The problem was not Ford's. The problem was the typical aftermarket issue cargo storage rack that nearly all municipalities used was screwed into the trunk wrong. The typical installation used sheet metal screws that would pierce the rear trunk wall and inadvertently point their ragged metal ends extremely close to the fuel tank. Everything was fine until a serious rear end collision could possibly push the sheet metal screws into the tank, possibly sparking a fire, or at least rupturing the tank. Why do you think the fires only happened to police cars and not civilian crowns and vic taxis? We handled a death case in Dallas many years ago involving the cop (an acquaintance of mine, and only 28 years old) being burned to death in a vic after being rear ended at 54 mph by a legally drunk dude in a Jeep Wrangler. We and everyone else found out the truth after this. The vic is still the #1 chosen police car, far over the Impala and Charger to this day. We own no less than 3 vics. It is the most quality you can buy used for the money. My mother and brother drive the vics regularly as do I. I have that much faith in the car.
Ok, thanks for clarifying this. The story I heard on the news did not go into these details. These gruesome accidents, and not knowing the real reason for fuel tank ignition, kept me from buying one of these cars. I owned a 1975 Ford LTD back in the 80's and that car was a tank, including its fuel consumption.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So the answer is to remove the rack and screws and drop the tank to in sure it is clear or if not, replace the tank? Is that the only issue?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Even if I could, I won't! $6K to buy and $60K to keep it running... No way! No more used cars for me. I will go get a job now...
What are you smoking??

That's a very good car right there and I'm certainly not generally a Ford fan. Beat the smell of bacon and doughnuts out of the interior and you'd be good to go for years.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
So the answer is to remove the rack and screws and drop the tank to in sure it is clear or if not, replace the tank? Is that the only issue?
Yes. And you only need to do that if the police car was a regular patrol car, a vomit comet as they speak. You never want one of those anyway. You want a supervisor's car, as they are better treated, especially in small municipalities, and rarely get the trunk cargo holder. You can also get the the crown vic sport which gives you all the suspension pieces from a civilian.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 PM
~BANNED~

The same durability goes for a Town Car and a Grand Marquis. Any of the Panther platforms past around '99 are good to go. Just try to get the sport suspension option prior to '03 or you get a floaty ride. Bilsteins fix that though on the older ones. Look for factory true duals to signify the real ones. After you get the car get an aftermarket larger front roll bar. Nice, sticky, 16 tires and you will be amazed at the handling and ride comfort mix.

Don't waste your money on a new car. Don't buy a used car bargain either, there is typically a reason for the bargain. A certified used Lincoln Town Car maybe the safest way to go from the dealer. New Town Car buyers are usually old enough to know how to treat cars correctly. The younger crowd are self serving morons.

Did I mention the Panther platforms are easy to service?

Last edited by Shane; 05-21-2009 at 08:24 PM.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

I think this is the only issue and as long as the car has not been in an accident, the rack (if present) can be removed and you are good to go. No damage to the fuel tank without a massive rear impact can occur.

The cars with the basic police package are rather spartan. They come with only AM/FM radio, no cruise control, vinyl floor covering instead of carpet, and vinyl rear seats. You get dual exhaust, higher rear axle ratio (lower gears), in some cases traction lock differential, heavy duty chassis, shocks, wheels, engine cooling and a heavy duty transmission.

I have seen almost new police package Crown Victorias on eBay that were ordered with other desirable options such as full capeting, CD player, cruise control, full body side moulding, cloth rear seats, etc. Apparently these are cars ordered for detectives or police chiefs, in some cases for FBI/CIA. They are just like a regular passenger Crown Victoria, except with heavy duty components. Especially the heavy duty transmission is something that you cannot get on a regular Crown Victoria.

There was a 2008 police package Crown Victoria with those nice options on eBay recently for something like $ 23k with only 1,200 miles on it. Some dealer in Texas specializes in these almost new police cars I believe. I think he buys them new from various agencies who order too many cars, and then he drives them for about 1,000 miles to sell them as used vehicles (maybe to get around some restrictions on sale of these cars brand new to public).

Last edited by p100; 05-21-2009 at 08:24 PM.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Ok stop it with the Crown Vics it's burning my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will go to the poor house for a piece of ass, how hard is that to understand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in