post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
A brief review of history suggests that, in the face of violence, the presidents and people have been more pragmatic than ideological. They (we) all embrace the loftier vision when death and destruction are not immanent.

for the sake of argument, let's suppose we release the folks whom are believed ot be a threat but for whom no overt actions are ascribed. Let's suppose of those 40-odd men, 10% return to the fight.

That's just 4 guys, what could they do?
That is where the "hard work" half of that 'principles and hard work' formula comes in. If we argue that 10% of bad guys are going to, again be bad guys, and we want to be SAFE, we should just lockup everyone that has had a criminal record and throw away the key. That would begin to safeguard that issue but would also not be in line with our justice system.

If we are suppose to live in fear of what those four guys are going to do, there must be an entire cadre of folks wadded up in a corner whimpering about what those other 100 or 12 or 50 or 300 are going to do. The Fear, Uncertainty and Dread crowd that winds up much of the rightwing blogsphere certainly try to scare them. Or maybe some of the ones WE created by blowing up Iraq. We displaced millions and caused a civil war that has lasted half a decade. Surely a few hundred Iraqi are somewhat pissed at us. What could they do?

If we live in fear, afraid to stand by our principles Al Qaeda has won, hands down. If we live in fear, ready to compromise everything, we have lost everything. Guess who won.

I am not particularly ready to capitulate to an enemy that has struck this country just twice since 1993.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Apr 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Neither.

Lawful combatants should be treated according to the GC from initial capture to the end of hostilities.

Unlawful enemy combatants, once drained of useful intel, should be incarcerated overseas in accordance with the Geneva Conventions protocols for lawful combatants.
Botnst....

Actually that post was for McBear!

Hey! At least you have an opinion.

Are all of them guilty of what I posted above?

So where overseas do you house guys who who are guilty?
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
...........And it didn't take you a minute!

Hell! I'm impressed .......... not really!

So what do you think?

Let um go or shoot um in the head?
I'm a Constitution and its treaties kinda guy. Geneva Conventions address everyone of your questions, whether they have shiny Class A's, bdu's or little black pajamas, or maybe something WE might not consider a "uniform".

In Mexico, the drug gangs look like renegades to us. Closer inspection show, however that they each wear colors, much like street gangs in LA or NY and that constitutes a uniform as it is...well... uniform.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I'm a Constitution and its treaties kinda guy. Geneva Conventions address everyone of your questions, whether they have shiny Class A's, bdu's or little black pajamas, or maybe something WE might not consider a "uniform".

In Mexico, the drug gangs look like renegades to us. Closer inspection show, however that they each wear colors, much like street gangs in LA or NY and that constitutes a uniform as it is...well... uniform.
I hear what you are saying, but disagree with the broad brush you are painting with.

Both you and myself are possibly too old now to go into combat with the gusto of a young man, but my age now would tell me that if we were being over run by a bunch of yahoos dressed in pink that they were not in a military uniform.... or if they raised a flag of an unrecognized country they would not be fighting under a flag either.

That being the case it is still very much legal to shoot all of them like dogs even under all the comnventions of war. There are those who say no, but they are mistaken.

So what's the deal McB? Are these guys in Gitmo being held not charged of anything?

If they have been pronounced terrorists that have taken up arms against the US then why did they ever make it to Gitmo in the first place? ... and I think you know what alternative I am getting at.

This whole situation needs to be settled immediately.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
If the Geneva Conventions are the standard then leave them at the Gitmo internment camp until hostilities cease.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
If the Geneva Conventions are the standard then leave them at the Gitmo internment camp until hostilities cease.
So you're saying leave them in Gitmo until they turn to dust?

Did you ever hear of the Nazi Werewolf Division? Not uniformed .....they went behind enemy lines and blew stuff up.

When captured they were "questioned" and then were give a front row seat at a first class firing squad swaray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in