BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
Print Server and NAS question

Anyone have any experience with Clark Connect?

I have an old PC that I want to turn into an NAS box as well as have it act as a print server.

I looked into the FreeNAS flavor but there is a lot of work that would have to be done in order to make it work as a Print Server with a parallel port.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
much better, now the format works.

Is there a reason you are wanting to use a Linux solution to the problem?

Why not simply hang a box on your regular network and enable print sharing. That should allow all queueing and spooling requirements and, unless you are setting up a law firm print solution serve normal purposes.

What is going to be the client to printer ratio [bottom1 can explain what a ratio is] and what is the anticipated document feed per day? I would think the printer will, no matter what the OS on the box be the bottleneck.

Print Services shouldn't effect any DASD hung on the server unless you are running a really slow net. I do assume you are not planning to run wireless as throughput will be much slower and that WILL impact performance.

Right now I have a box setting on the side of my desk that acts as the home print server with three printers on it [duplex, envelope and photo]. It also has 3TB of HDD parked in it. All is running straight through XP and Linksys. I have an external WD that acts as nightly backup and a DVD that does incremental. That is on a six year old box. I have not had a screen on it in over a year. I reboot it remotely. That box covers shared printing and HDD for a 9 computer network, both wired and wireless.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
much better, now the format works.

Is there a reason you are wanting to use a Linux solution to the problem?

Why not simply hang a box on your regular network and enable print sharing. That should allow all queueing and spooling requirements and, unless you are setting up a law firm print solution serve normal purposes.

What is going to be the client to printer ratio [bottom1 can explain what a ratio is] and what is the anticipated document feed per day? I would think the printer will, no matter what the OS on the box be the bottleneck.

Print Services shouldn't effect any DASD hung on the server unless you are running a really slow net. I do assume you are not planning to run wireless as throughput will be much slower and that WILL impact performance.

Right now I have a box setting on the side of my desk that acts as the home print server with three printers on it [duplex, envelope and photo]. It also has 3TB of HDD parked in it. All is running straight through XP and Linksys. I have an external WD that acts as nightly backup and a DVD that does incremental. That is on a six year old box. I have not had a screen on it in over a year. I reboot it remotely. That box covers shared printing and HDD for a 9 computer network, both wired and wireless.
This is strictly for home use. There will be 3 PC's going to it for printing. There will not be a whole lot of stress on it at all.

The issue is that I do not wish to tie up a windows XP License that I can be using somewhere else, secondly I do not need a full fledged OS on the box from a foot print standpoint, and thirdly I would like to use it as an FTP server for my pictures and media files when I am away.

So for the use I plan on it, I just don't see the need for a full OS on it.

Who's John Galt.

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ No wireless network?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
This is strictly for home use. There will be 3 PC's going to it for printing. There will not be a whole lot of stress on it at all.

The issue is that I do not wish to tie up a windows XP License that I can be using somewhere else, secondly I do not need a full fledged OS on the box from a foot print standpoint, and thirdly I would like to use it as an FTP server for my pictures and media files when I am away.

So for the use I plan on it, I just don't see the need for a full OS on it.
What is the OS on the old PC that you are using? If windows based, it should work fine for server function.

I would think that a mixed environment, while very doable would just be more effort than what it would be worth.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
What is the OS on the old PC that you are using? If windows based, it should work fine for server function.

I would think that a mixed environment, while very doable would just be more effort than what it would be worth.
The Old PC is Win XP and it is working fine with file sharing and print server stuff.

I just would like to pair down the footprint on the drive and free up the license.

Who's John Galt.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
^ No wireless network?
Yes the network is wireless. It is also wired.

Who's John Galt.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
So why not plug the printer into one of your PCs, then add it to the wireless network. Wouldn't that do the deed? You can also remove the hard drives and simply use them as external storage devices all by their lonesome.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
The Old PC is Win XP and it is working fine with file sharing and print server stuff.

I just would like to pair down the footprint on the drive and free up the license.
OK, that makes some sense.

On the other hand, an XP license is pretty cheap right now, as you can buy a used box with no monitor and stuff for 50ish on craigslist that would have a license available. That might be cheaper. Buy it for the license, call MS, tell them you are ghosting a drive image, give them the two license numbers you have and they will give you a new install code.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
So why not plug the printer into one of your PCs, then add it to the wireless network. Wouldn't that do the deed?
It is already doing it. Already have done it.

I think that my goal is not clear. I do not need XP on the box because all I want to do is turn it into a file server(Network Attached Storage) and print server. Also, it would reduce the power needed for the processor as well as reducing the footprint on the drive.

Basically it is a sledgehammer and all I need is a fly swatter.

Who's John Galt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in