post #161 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1969-280s, 2000 SL500, 1981 300D, 1980 450SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Pure stupidity. Just like the snake handlers in the Ozarks.
ok, agreed.

then what type of dominion are you talking about?

some sort of control?
are we guiding them like your god is guiding you?
do we have "a plan" for them?
a preordained Good and Evil path?
or are we masters over them because we have guns and pesticides?
I'm telling you.. you are getting closer and closer to rubber room/straight jacket territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Didn't know you could get a degree in Ethology. I always saw it as a subset of Zoology or Animal Husbandry or vet medicine. Interesting.

How do you base your caterpillar statement on the Genesis verses?
U of Colorado offered Ethology as a major, and I jumped on it. All Psych and Bio classes contributed toward major credits. Since I wanted to stay a student for the rest of my life, I completed my Masters before running out of funds and being forced into the real world. I am not suggesting that my degree provides me with some special insight into the topic we're discussing as much as it belies a keen interest and awareness from a very young age.

Western religion is based upon a foundation of human dominion and separatism (i.e. we are not a part of our biosphere, as much as we are above it). Knock down that imaginary wall and you've spilled the guts of the entire belief system. Why do humans receive divine consideration but not gibbons?

Paleontology suggests that dinosaurs dominated the planet for more than 160,000,000 years, compared to less than 100,000 years of hominid prominence. Whose god did the dinosaurs revere, or Neanderthal for that matter? Did a previous incarnation of god create T. rex in her image?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #163 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
^ I think it's cool that you got a degree in something that means something to you. Too many people spend time getting degrees in topics that they hate. I have mutiple degrees out of necessity, not out of desire. If I was starting out again in school I would probably go into medicine and specialize in surgery. Not for the bucks, I just enjoy the mechanical aspect of it.
post #164 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

GS,
Not sure where you get the idea that Western religion is based upon dominion. I don't know of any Christian that holds that as their core belief.
post #165 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
GS,
Not sure where you get the idea that Western religion is based upon dominion. I don't know of any Christian that holds that as their core belief.
You seem to hold it as part of yours, I can toss many of your own quotes back at you suggesting as much. Can you answer this question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Why do humans receive divine consideration but not gibbons?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #166 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

yes
post #167 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
McBear
You're being simplistic about origins. I am far from inattentive, but instead disagree.
You speak of lack of evidence( yet you have given none for your views) and how there are many paths (which I definitely disagree).
What I do know of Buddhist beliefs is there is No God, thus No Heaven, which means the end is not the same, but instead "Nirvana" which is on earth. That is not another path to the same end, but instead more of a parallel path. BUT parallel lines never meet ( and in that I am being simplistic). The origins of Buddhism are far more intangible, and with far less proof.
If a Pope compiled the writings, good for him (and yes that has a basis in fact), but that was far from the beginning of the belief structure. The EDITING you speak of, I have spoken of as well. The editing has been checked and rechecked over generations with original documents, and found to be uncannily spot on. It started with Adam, and the first compilations start with Moses. Many authors through a long time span (not one book written LONG after the death of Buddha) put down info from their events, and strangely enough the writers agree, all the way from Genesis to Revelation. In fact Genesis even has reference to Revelation events. Go figure.
I have laid out some trues and PROOF, but if you don't want to check the points out, so be it.

BUT , I have not been inattentive. No contradiction, No hate. A bias? Yup!

Aardvark
As I say, you have not been paying attention as shown by your insistence that there be an end game, a reward, an everlasting life. You also seem to lock onto Buddhism even though I only use it as one example.

And you seem to believe that all the writing and editing have been checked and rechecked and all seem to agree. They don't. Some agree with some of the CHOSEN original documents but don't agree with other contemporaneous documents of the time that contradict those CHOSEN documents.

Just look at the 10 Commandments as a most basic example. Religious scholars have at least twenty variations of that single text and some can't even agree if it should be canon or if it is not relegated to "guidelines".

Then look at Adam and Eve, the ROOT of the Bible, the Genesis as it were. Two Adults with two Boys. Yet, from them sprang the entire civilization. In the Fundemental, Charismatic Christian world of Biblical Inerrancy that means there was some serious incest. But wait. There were the people of...some other subdivision, maybe...but we really aren't told about them since we are told only about A&E.

Then there is Noah and his clan after the flood. Now Noah and his three sons and their wives would have had offspring. Guess what happens next?

Inconsistencies and contradictions. The message from the Bible should be: Be a good person and take care of those who can't take care of themselves. Period. Everything else is parable and legend and should be looked at in that light. There are folks that take Star Wars too literally also.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #168 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

GS,
I assume you are questioning if Heaven is reserved for humans? The Bible is silent regarding an afterlife for animals. Everything in the Bible points to the reasoning skills of man that were given by God (only to man) as a method of understanding. No other creature posesses this unique quality. This gift comes freely, but does not come without responsibility.

Not only does a gibbon not think about God, it doesn't care as it doesn't have the mental capacity. God gave the gibbon absolutely no responsibility and requires nothing from it in return. God gave you his Son and the wisdom to reason.
post #169 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
GS,
I assume you are questioning if Heaven is reserved for humans? The Bible is silent regarding an afterlife for animals. Everything in the Bible points to the reasoning skills of man that were given by God (only to man) as a method of understanding. No other creature posesses this unique quality. This gift comes freely, but does not come without responsibility.
You might want to grab some whiteout and get to work. More than man has reasoning skills.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #170 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

^ So, how many non-humans do you compete with in the work force?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in