Obama Administration Plans to Strengthen Antitrust Rules...... - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^ Enforcing the rules seems to be a lost art in the political arena these days. 100% agree with the enforcing the rules part but I'm not sure the Sherman Act really applies to the financial sector you describe. Remember, the Act was written with protection for business first and the public second and has little to do with "size". Predatory meant against another business, not preadatory by screwing the end user.

Apparently you don't get strokes for enforcing the rules just for making them. I'm really not surprised that 0 hasn't tried to repeal the Clayton Act and re-write it. The Unions would have a fit.

Did somone allude that you are in the petroleum industry? As you would well know, Rockefeller, among others were among some of the original gangsters that Anti-Trust was built upon.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ "No one will ever know what new products, processes, machines, and cost-saving mergers failed to come into existence, killed by the Sherman Act before they were born. No one can ever compute the price that all of us have paid for that Act which, by inducing less effective use of capital, has kept our standard of living lower than would otherwise have been possible."
- Alan Greenspan

"Those of us who have looked to the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholder's equity -- myself especially -- are in a state of shocked disbelief.

"I have found a flaw. I don’t know how significant or permanent it is. But I have been very distressed by that fact.

"...because I have been going for 40 years or more with very considerable evidence that it was working exceptionally well."

- Alan Greenspan

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Moderately subtle
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
I thought that a "trust" were businesses, who should be in competition, that would collaborate to control pricing and supply (oil companies, perhaps?). A monopoly would be a single business that essentially controls a product. No matter what, IMHO, the anti-trust and anti-monopoly rules have not been enforced as rigorously as they should be.

Sad thing is a company can become a monopoly by having a superior product, superior marketing, or both. Unfortunately, when they arrive, they see little need to innovate and instead, as in the Microsoft example, turn to bullying and other unfair marketing tactics to preserve their monopoly.

Consumers win when there is competition. Products get better, upstarts with innovation have a shot, and pricing is reduced.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^ MS has put a lot of money into lawyers to try and stay just this side of a monopoly. They dance in a gray area.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: