five firefighters and one gas company employee were burned in an apparent natural gas explosion at a shopping center in Forestville.
FORESTVILLE, Md. -- A total of eight firefighters and one Washington Gas employee were injured in an apparent natural gas explosion at a shopping center in Forestville. Some were seriously burned.
Two of the firefighters are being held overnight for observation, and the other seven have been released. Five were transported to the Washington Hospital Center's burn unit, and four were transported to Prince George's Hospital.
According to Prince George's County Fire and EMS spokesperson Mark Brady, the fire department received a call around 12:30 p.m. Thursday for a report of a natural gas leak. They arrived at 3426 Donnell Drive and evacuated the building. Sometime after that, the explosion occurred.
Brady reports that a flash fire burned the firefighters and gas company employee. The building was heavily damaged.